Boat length - under 30 foot guideline is surely misplaced....

SAWDOC

Visit site
Given similar levels of preparation, if one compares a 30 ft and a mid 20's cruiser, surely a 30 footer has to provide more comfort, more stowage space, better speed and smoother motion through the water? All of these factors add to safety on board. I really can not accept the principle that bullet proofing a 20 footer at considerable expense is better than upgrading to a 30fter and enjoying the ride.
I often sail my 26 footer single handed and have delighted in her performance in some tough conditions but sail to the Azores in her? I don't think she would thank me for that....
I like the non regulatory or should I say self regulatory nature of the jester challenge but for me some boats are just too short. The under 30 ft guide in my opinion is misplaced. Good luck to those planing future JC's - unless I change boats I do not intend joining.

Athene V30

Playa del Ingles, Gran Canaria in Winter, the boat
Visit site
Everyone has the choice to do what they think is safe and fulfil their dream / test themselves or whatever. To me that is what Jester is all about.

I have an early 70's designed 27 foot sloop which I am very happy to attempt the challenge to Azores in 2012 with very few changes to how she is already. I have not at this stage decided to join in with the Atlantic adventure mainly as I am have not got my head around 5 weeks on my own and am not ready (and may never be).

I have the upmost respect for all the sailors and especially those of the smaller boats in all previous Jesters - but that doesn't mean I want to sail the challenge in their boats!

Black Sheep

Visit site
Not sure what you're trying to say. Are you saying that people shouldn't sail the Atlantic in sub-30 foot boats? Or just that you don't understand what motivates people to?

Gargleblaster

Visit site
When sub 30 feet boats were allowed in the OSTAR, I think you will find statistically that they were safer and less likely to call for assistance. Perhaps not as comfortable being tossed around in a large seaway but seem to maintain their integrity better.
In the 2008 Jester Azores Challenge of the boats that I know of that called for assistance there was one 31 feet, one 30 feet and one 23 feet.

Noddy

Visit site
Please see the first thread on this forum for the Health and Safety debate. While it is proper to approach something like the JC with a sense of caution it is important that you see the thing in a wider context:

The 30 foot limit is there because, despite many of the first OSTAR boats being well under 30', the modern OSTAR has decided that they can't compete. Because they are too slow (I think).

Many think that the OSTAR is getting away from what it was originally all about; initiative, seamanship etc. Instead it is wrapped up in rules and regulations, huge entry fees and sponsorship deals. So the JC is both a return to how things were done before, and redressing what many believe to be a poor decision, rather than a risky new idea.

Although as a multihull participant, I have to agree with you on the comfort front. Once the ice maker packed up and the deep fat fryer stopped working, life became a living hell!

Paul

PacketRat

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I really can not accept the principle that bullet proofing a 20 footer at considerable expense is better than upgrading to a 30fter

[/ QUOTE ]
Come off it, mate. I paid through the nose for my Pandora at £2,650 seven years ago. She spends most of her life in a mud berth, i.e. free mooring. Upgrade to a thirty footer? I'd dearly love such a thing, but it's way out my league. Bullet proofing isn't that expensive.

David_Jersey

Visit site
I do see your point that a decent 30 footer would provide a different experiance than a decent 20 odd footer - one reason why at dead on 30 foot I would hesitate to join the Jester as kinda seems against the spirit.

That and me lacking the competence /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

I would love to do it in a Corribee (had one /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif) - but that's way outside my limits /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif so I take my hat off to those who at least try on similar sized boats.

Rather than a RTW Jester I think the next one should be "Once round the bay" for folk like me /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

CPD

Visit site
Given the spirit of what the Jester is all about, I can't see any difference at all betweeen 20 and 30ft. Well, maybe apart from 10ft. Sure, one is bigger and will offer perhaps a degree more comfort, but if they are both well prepared, then what the heck.

I guess you could get more chips in the 30ft'er.

SAWDOC

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
When sub 30 feet boats were allowed in the OSTAR, I think you will find statistically that they were safer and less likely to call for assistance. Perhaps not as comfortable being tossed around in a large seaway but seem to maintain their integrity better.
In the 2008 Jester Azores Challenge of the boats that I know of that called for assistance there was one 31 feet, one 30 feet and one 23 feet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very interesting. i wonder why?

owners of longer boats are perhaps a little blase?

Nevertheless I hold to my earlier comments. Longer duration voyages - inevitable in a smaller slower craft have to be more problematic simply due to the increased likelihood of encountering worse weather - and a comfortable ride helps one make good decisions.

Gargleblaster

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
and a comfortable ride helps one make good decisions.

[/ QUOTE ]

Having crossed the Atlantic in both a 37 footer and a 27 footer, I feel more secure in my heavily laid up 27 footer than I ever did in the 37 footer. And even though I have had much worse weather in my 27 footer than I ever did in the 37 footer, once I am secure in my little quarter berth I am much more comfortable than I was in the 37 footer which had sides that flexed when it fell off a wave.

As for making good decisions, I'm with Mike Ritchie on this one, he has said as a result of many crossings, losing one Jester and having another one recovered half way across, is that 'he has survived on many occasions despite the decisions he has made'. When the weather is throwing all sorts of hell at you, I defy anyone to say their decisions are good ones.

Noddy

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I guess you could get more chips in the 30ft'er.

[/ QUOTE ]

A 30ft Catamaran is not only long, its wide. This gives room for reserve culinary / survival equipment - Ice cream maker, moulinex machine thing. Perhaps some home brew, a small herb garden, some animals.

This JC thing really is about self sufficiency.

helixkimara

Visit site

[/ QUOTE ]

A 30ft Catamaran is not only long, its wide. This gives room for reserve culinary / survival equipment - Ice cream maker, moulinex machine thing. Perhaps some home brew, a small herb garden, some animals.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought I saw some sheep through your "bay window" at Terciera and wondering to myself "Wonder what he's got those for" /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif
The sheep dog was keeping them in order.
Why did they have lipstick all over there faces? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Noddy

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Why did they have lipstick all over there faces? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
To make them more attractive!...... Obviously!

SwedishLass

Visit site
Hmm sheep, his account of the big wave refers to raisins floating about inside and a smelly carpet.... The truth will out.

See you in the barn soon