Boat explosion and fire Harleyford

jecuk

Visit site
Well three unhappy boat owners and a lot who probably feel that they are lucky it didn't spread to more boats. Sounds like it was on the riverbank. Assume in the marina it could have been harder to contain.

Pump-Out

Visit site
The truth is out there.....

Boat stolen from Hambleden Mill Marina
Joy ridden down-stream.
Twin outboards cut from transom.

Boat then set on fire and cast adrift, adjacent to Freebody's.
It was never moored at Harleyford, but used as a fire ship, hence damage over the river to two further motor yachts.

Current TVP thoughts seem to centre on Eastern European orgainsed crime, steeling many outboards for shipment abroad.

Briefing ends.

apollo

Visit site
Current TVP thoughts seem to centre on Eastern European orgainsed crime, steeling many outboards for shipment abroad.

I could maybe accept the stealing outboards, but why the fire and why Harleyford and not Medmenham or Flower Pot slipway?

Perhaps we have been watching too many action movies?

Chris_d

Visit site
I could maybe accept the stealing outboards, but why the fire and why Harleyford and not Medmenham or Flower Pot slipway?

Perhaps we have been watching too many action movies?

Sounds like grasping at straws, why would they go through the lock to then strip the outboards on the Harleyford side:confused: Hope this isn't the start of a trend on the river, my boat was broken into 3 times last year.

Ian45

Visit site
Hope this isn't the start of a trend on the river, my boat was broken into 3 times last year.

Do you keep your boat in a marina? If so then the security which is part of the mooring costs and on which the marketing for most marinas is highlighted as a benefit obviously count for nothing!

Was there much damage done while breaking in?

neale

Visit site
Boat stolen from Hambleden Mill Marina
Joy ridden down-stream.
Twin outboards cut from transom.

Boat then set on fire and cast adrift, adjacent to Freebody's.
It was never moored at Harleyford, but used as a fire ship, hence damage over the river to two further motor yachts.

Briefing ends.

Twin outboards on a 14ft boat :confused:

Chris_d

Visit site
Do you keep your boat in a marina? If so then the security which is part of the mooring costs and on which the marketing for most marinas is highlighted as a benefit obviously count for nothing!

Was there much damage done while breaking in?

No not in Marina a private garden mooring but its remote and no security, probably just a local oik as they don't steal anything just break the door to prove they can.

Ian45

Visit site
No not in Marina a private garden mooring but its remote and no security, probably just a local oik as they don't steal anything just break the door to prove they can.

Not much consolation I suppose but at least nothing taken. Fingers crossed for you it doesn't happen again.

matt_lake

Visit site

Chris,

What reach do you moor in? I'm also at the bottom of a garden on the Cleeve-Benson reach and we had 2 attempted break ins last year. I was onboard during the second attempt so maybe the scroat will think twice next time.

Chris_d

Visit site
Chris,

What reach do you moor in? I'm also at the bottom of a garden on the Cleeve-Benson reach and we had 2 attempted break ins last year. I was onboard during the second attempt so maybe the scroat will think twice next time.

Days to Clifton so unlikely to be the same peeps, I'd love to catch them at it I'm sure the Police wouldn't mind me giving some swimming lessons.

SunshineBridge

Visit site
Sade Moon escaped!

Just moved my Sade Moon from Harleyford, I was moored not 50 feet from there as that is Second Pearl with the scorched prow.

Now up in Thames and Kennet, the security seems excellent and prices somewhat better than Harleyford. But the Reading gas towers are not quite so attractive.

oldgit

Visit site

Any organised or "professional" outfit is highly unlikey to waste time torching a boat which is only going to attract immediate attention to the theft,as opposed to letting the thing float away and possibly not spotted until following morning.
Far more likely to be local scroats who live within the area.

byron

RIP
Visit site
Current TVP thoughts seem to centre on Eastern European orgainsed crime, stealing many outboards for shipment abroad.

Any organised or "professional" outfit is highly unlikey to waste time torching a boat which is only going to attract immediate attention to the theft,as opposed to letting the thing float away and possibly not spotted until following morning.
Far more likely to be local scroats who live within the area.

Your logic is impeccable.

Richard Shead

Slipped Anchor
Visit site
They

still needed to figure out how to get through the lock though? if they dumped it at Harleyford they would have had to get off the estate as well?