Bluetooth (Kim?)

byron

RIP
Visit site
Kim, I was wondering if there's any hint of Bluetooth technology reaching the marine market. Can you imagine how easy it would be to add say a Yeoman Plotter to a GPS or for that matter anything electronic to anything else electronic.

ô¿ô

lanason

Visit site
Cor you are well connected and up to date - no flies on you Byron. Dunno about the dog though !!!!!! :)
Bluetooth has been around for a while in my industry but its all secret and I would have to "silence you" if I told you anything about it !!!!!!

Adrian :))

tcm

Visit site
Re: Bluetooth, pah

Bluetooth is still looking for the "killer application" imho. Most things which should be connected, already are. Wild eyed engineers talk about conecting say, the phone to the fridge or the printer, but erm, not sure how much help that wd be.

kimhollamby

www.kimhollamby.com
Yes, there is one application pending that I am aware of, from Silva. They've built what is in effect a mini CPU that would sit in the middle of a Silva instrument network that can transmit Bluetooth info to mobile devices, including enabled mobile phones. Short range of course, so unlikely that you can sit in a beach bar checking the depth underneath your nearest and dearest and she sits at anchor, but it would allow you to pick up data anywhere on the boat...handy I guess if you want a break but don't quite trust the person at the wheel.

Logical extension would be for it to allow wireless hook-ups to laptops; not sure if they have gone that route yet and, for that matter, not quite sure at this stage how close they are to full commercial release.

Associate Publisher ybw.com websites kim_hollamby@ipcmedia.com

stewart

Visit site
Re: Bluetooth - available soon

No doubt some bright company will come up with some applications soon, Naturally the marine version of bluetooth starts at a £5000 premium over the standard instruments (per instrument), there is a specially developed blue tooth pc card to connect your laptop, but again having the word "marine" on the side means it will retail for £2,600 (plus VAT). Alternatively there's 5m of copper wire which might be cheaper (available from any good chandler for £80 per metre or B&Q for 26pence)

Other threads that may be of interest