Blue ensign dick'ed

Colvic Watson

Visit site
We just fly what's fun, some days it's the Union Jack, others the flag of the Vatican navy and some days a vast pink pirate flag. I love flags in all their variety but even more I love that people get vexed about them.

Colvic Watson

Visit site
You'd be a villainous vexer of vexillologists then?

I hope so :D

I have heard that the coolest flag amongst the group who care about these things is a defaced red. I intend to get a large red from eBay and draw/print an obscure defacement on it, whenever anyone asks what it signifies I shall reply that I can't tell them as it's one of those need-to-know things. Should drive them mad. Any suggestions for the defacement?

JumbleDuck

Visit site
I have heard that the coolest flag amongst the group who care about these things is a defaced red. I intend to get a large red from eBay and draw/print an obscure defacement on it, whenever anyone asks what it signifies I shall reply that I can't tell them as it's one of those need-to-know things. Should drive them mad. Any suggestions for the defacement?

I am told by a friend in the Royal Ulster YC that a red ensign with an Irish tricolour in place of the union flag has an almost unbeatable power to induce apoplexy.

AuntyRinum

Visit site

Make sure that you have enough funds to pay the fine if you are prosecuted. I used to have a boat with a defaced red ensign, and I'm always curious why people want to trash these old traditions. What is your motivation for doing that? *********, envy, lack of confidence? What's it about?

Last edited:

snowleopard

Visit site
Make sure that you have enough funds to pay the fine if you are prosecuted. I used to have a boat with a defaced red ensign, and I'm always curious why people want to trash these old traditions. What is your motivation for doing that? *********, envy, lack of confidence? What's it about?

The problem with ensigns other than the bog standard red is that some of those who see you wearing one will attribute an attitude to you based on it. 'He thinks he's better than us' being the most common. Of course in the vast majority of cases it has nothing to do with reality. It is a good idea if you choose to wear one to avoid doing things that will encourage such views.

And of course you can expect more than the usual level of comment if you make a public cockup.

JumbleDuck

Visit site
Make sure that you have enough funds to pay the fine if you are prosecuted.

Does that happen often.

I used to have a boat with a defaced red ensign, and I'm always curious why people want to trash these old traditions. What is your motivation for doing that? *********, envy, lack of confidence? What's it about?

One might equally ask why people want defaced red ensigns in the first place. ********, showing off, arrogance? What's it about?

JumbleDuck

Visit site
The problem with ensigns other than the bog standard red is that some of those who see you wearing one will attribute an attitude to you based on it. 'He thinks he's better than us' being the most common.

Most of the justifications I have seen for non-standard ensigns have been along the lines of "pride in my club", which doesn't seem that far away from "I'm better than you".

capnsensible

Visit site

You could have a picture of Kevin the teenager on it with the words 'its so unfair'.

Angele

Visit site
Most of the justifications I have seen for non-standard ensigns have been along the lines of "pride in my club", which doesn't seem that far away from "I'm better than you".

Seems a million miles away, I think.

I am proud to work for my employer. Doesn't mean my employer is better than yours. Simply means I have a strong attachment to my company. You may well have with yours, if you are employed. But, how should I know?

Same with clubs. Join a club that you are proud to belong to. Doesn't have to be posh or anything. Then show off your pride by flying its ensign.

I think the problem at the root of the blue ensign dissers is that some assume those clubs are elitist and/or up their own wotsits. Some may be, but mine certainly ain't.

Colvic Watson

Visit site
SORRY.. BUT RNSA is NOT defaced!!!

See why I love flags - it's priceless - I shall start saving for the inevitable fine right away. I don't want to trash your traditions, because of jobs I've had I could fly a couple of different defaced red and blues, but that would be unforgivably predictable. For the time being it's a double bed sized union jack on the mizzen but if the right suggestion is made for a defaced red I shall issue myself with a home made warrant and crack on.

AuntyRinum

Visit site
....One might equally ask why people want defaced red ensigns in the first place. ********, showing off, arrogance? What's it about?
In my case the vessel is on the National Register of Historic Ships and that is their ensign. Why would you have a problem with that?

More likely that you suspect that they belong to a club which wouldn't have you as a member. You might be right, but there's no point being bitter about it.

Robin

Visit site
Seems a million miles away, I think.

I am proud to work for my employer. Doesn't mean my employer is better than yours. Simply means I have a strong attachment to my company. You may well have with yours, if you are employed. But, how should I know?

Same with clubs. Join a club that you are proud to belong to. Doesn't have to be posh or anything. Then show off your pride by flying its ensign.

I think the problem at the root of the blue ensign dissers is that some assume those clubs are elitist and/or up their own wotsits. Some may be, but mine certainly ain't.[/QUOTE]

spot on,

sailaboutvic

Visit site
In 38 years sailing I have never been a member of any yacht club , and have no plain of becoming one , we flag a good size red ensign ( it looks more like a pink one now ) we proud of it even if it have a few patches on it now , new one on the way , co skipper still working on it .