Bloody Brilliant

henryf

www.911virgin.com
I haven't been able to get down to the boat for ages now. Christmas was taken on a slightly larger boat (160,000 tonnes), and there haven't been 2 days to string together until now. Half term and so we headed down the M3 to Gosport. Rather windy as a front passed over so it was the flat for our first night but eventually I heard the familiar noise of the canopy zip, smelt the cockpit, felt the solid clunk of the patio doors opening, pulled back the curtain and revelled in the welcoming saloon.

All this talk of boat shows in London failing to hit the spot, boat shows in Liverpool simply failing, diesel prices, crappy brokers, shoddy repairs and winter blues is enough to make you wonder what the appeal of boating is.

Yarmouth - a bit of a shock as virtually all the pontoons have been removed for some spring cleaning - but to my way of thinking a yardstick on which to judge other marinas and harbours by. Friendly, clean, good facilities, in the middle of the town and calm. Oh, and they always do great winter deals :)

A pint of Holy Jo with dinner in the Kings Head. Nectar of the gods.

Lymington Town quay all to your own for the day with just one other boat to keep you company for the evening. Right in the middle of the town, loads of places to wander round, more coffee shops and places to eat than you can shake a stick at. Warm showers for the sailors without a proper bathroom shower (or two ;) ).

The ship Inn. My god how a place can be transformed. In every respect a winner.

Yachtmail Chandlery in Lymington. James and the gang are a friendly old lot, prices are on the money - their domestic batteries were over £20 cheaper each than the next best price and £40 a pop cheaper than my usual supplier £160 for the four of them! Sadly the good lady wife decided James' Missus' clothing emporium next door was a safe haven for said savings so not all good news. They even got in a couple of the batteries from their Swanwick branch and ran them down to the boat on the jetty for me (and removed the old units).

The Furuno chart plotter and radar. Foggy mist leaving Lymington after a couple of days meant we were running on radar for the first 20 minutes. What a cracking bit of kit and how glad I play with it on the good days so that when the **** hits the fan it's all second nature.

Eberspacher heating, "come on winter weather if you think you're hard enough......" Ah yes, and of course a programmable timer. 6.30am, the quiet whisper of piping hot air wafting through the vents so when you wake up everything is toasty warm.

Onan generators. Total self sufficiency where ever you may wander.

And so the list goes on. I love winter cruising. You can moor up wherever you want without any hassle. All the restaurants manage to squeeze you in, there's a great sense of cheating the elements and when it does stop raining you do appreciate a few seconds of sunshine.

And let's not forget our little Princess P42. It still makes us happy and isn't that why we all go boating. Bloody Brilliant.

Keep smiling everyone and enjoy your boating.

Henry :)

AndieMac

Visit site
The Furuno chart plotter and radar. Foggy mist leaving Lymington after a couple of days meant we were running on radar for the first 20 minutes. What a cracking bit of kit and how glad I play with it on the good days so that when the **** hits the fan it's all second nature./QUOTE]

Wise words H.

Great post :)

Seahope

Visit site
Excellent! It is nice to be reminded of the good things about boating at this time of the year.

I will be starting up my newly serviced engines on Friday for a few minutes to move my non-heated boat to the waiting pontoon to then be lifted out for the annual work.

I am already looking forward to being able to taking the boat out again when all the work has been done. Hopefully, the temperature here will continue to climb and the wind remain calm.

MRC

Visit site
We had a mini cruise on Monday. Ocean Village to Poole for lunch on the quay. Well not quite the quay as the only place serving food was the pub on the high street. Everywhere was closed.We had a tour of the Yacht 80 & 88 production line. Saw MYAG on the hard outside being finished off.

Trip over was a little lumpy and a few sea sick which we haven't had for a long time, run back in the evening was superb, I love night cruising but the pesky lobster pots always on my mind, radar was picking up a few of them.

Back into Ocean Village late evening and then into Southampton for yet more beers. A long day but great to get the boat out for a run.

Would quite like Eberspacher heating as it makes a huge difference, reverse cycle air con warms the boat up but feels different and is too noisy.

mjf

w.london - boat on solent- RIB on Tidal Thames
Visit site
Wonderful post henryf - I agree with you on the winter cruise - sadly this year is the first that we have been grounded. Either due Wx, not feeling 100% or outside issues...

I cannot believe you got 4 x 110aH domestic batteries for £160 and they fitted them.

These are I assume the £78 units Yachtmail have in stock in Swanwick. Does your P42 have 4 domestics or 2 x 2 starts/domestics?

benjenbav

Visit site
I moved to Lymington last year and although I had popped into Yachtmail as a visitor before, I really "discovered" it properly only a couple of weeks ago when I had a reasonably extensive shopping list of stuff to buy. I shall be returning there for sure! If for no other reason than I wanted a 120 x 6 mm stainless pin. I found a selection of sizes in trays not individually vacuum packed on cards etc. Helpful, friendly staff too.

henryf

www.911virgin.com
Wonderful post henryf - I agree with you on the winter cruise - sadly this year is the first that we have been grounded. Either due Wx, not feeling 100% or outside issues...

I cannot believe you got 4 x 110aH domestic batteries for £160 and they fitted them.

These are I assume the £78 units Yachtmail have in stock in Swanwick. Does your P42 have 4 domestics or 2 x 2 starts/domestics?

Sorry, you misunderstood me. I meant a £160 saving (which got spent on bikinis and tops).

4 domestic, 2 starters. They ran the last 2 down 2 the boat for me in the morning to save me coming up to the shop (100 yards!). Sadly the fitting was down to me. Getting the first one out is always tricky but I now have that warm glow of someone with domestic batteries in tip top condition :)

Picked up a yacht master theory book as well and really enjoying reading it through. One of those time served skippers rather than taught in a classroom (other than navigation in the cadets). Interesting some of the little things you pick up like using range to take a fix on the radar rather than bearing.

I've even got Sharon and Em's lining up the kettle fore and aft to reduce the risk of spillage ;)

Keep smiling

BlueSkyNick

Visit site
I moved to Lymington last year and although I had popped into Yachtmail as a visitor before, I really "discovered" it properly only a couple of weeks ago when I had a reasonably extensive shopping list of stuff to buy. I shall be returning there for sure! If for no other reason than I wanted a 120 x 6 mm stainless pin. I found a selection of sizes in trays not individually vacuum packed on cards etc. Helpful, friendly staff too.

They have recently tried to revert to being a chandler which sells some clothes, instead of a boutique which sells a few books and bits of kit, and so have changed the whole shop around.

I still go to Nick Cox's first, Force4 second, yachtmail third. I guess we are spoiled having three separate chandlers within a mile of each other !

mjf

Visit site
Sorry, you misunderstood me. I meant a £160 saving (which got spent on bikinis and tops).

4 domestic, 2 starters. They ran the last 2 down 2 the boat for me in the morning to save me coming up to the shop (100 yards!). Sadly the fitting was down to me. Getting the first one out is always tricky but I now have that warm glow of someone with domestic batteries in tip top condition :)

Picked up a yacht master theory book as well and really enjoying reading it through. One of those time served skippers rather than taught in a classroom (other than navigation in the cadets). Interesting some of the little things you pick up like using range to take a fix on the radar rather than bearing.

I've even got Sharon and Em's lining up the kettle fore and aft to reduce the risk of spillage ;)

Keep smiling

Ah! understand now.

Concur you on removing these batteries - first time I did it I lefted the old ones out and went over the top of the box getting the replacements back in - since leaving hospital (joke) I now discover the trick is to remove the box completely. Still a PITA but loads easier.

I agree I too have smug look with all new batteries for the 2011 season ahead.

BTW - I also find Yachtmail 1st Class I used to use the Lymington branch when visiting there and I now have the Swanwick shop on the doorstep and find both the staff extremely helpful and the prices are on the mark too.
Run by a good guy too I understand. Its a tough market but these peeps deserve success IMHO

benjenbav

Visit site
They have recently tried to revert to being a chandler which sells some clothes, instead of a boutique which sells a few books and bits of kit, and so have changed the whole shop around.

I still go to Nick Cox's first, Force4 second, yachtmail third. I guess we are spoiled having three separate chandlers within a mile of each other !

Haven't tried Nick Cox yet. Probably because it's the wrong direction - Yes, I am indeed that lazy - I thought Yachtmail looked different when I was there last week and the week before. But as I had only been in once before (to buy a lifejacket in 2008, I think!) I wasn't sure.

henryf

www.911virgin.com
The trick is to put a pole through the handles and use two people. One behind (well sort of to the side) and one in front. A bit of a squeeze but possible. I thought about removing the whole box but thought it was easier to just use muscle ;)

You could build a little gantry on wheels a bit like the square boat cranes if you were going to do loads of them.

Anyway all sorted now and lots of fresh capacity for those quieter moorings without shore power, ( a lot cheaper as well!).

H.

mjf

Visit site
The trick is to put a pole through the handles and use two people. One behind (well sort of to the side) and one in front. A bit of a squeeze but possible. I thought about removing the whole box but thought it was easier to just use muscle ;)

You could build a little gantry on wheels a bit like the square boat cranes if you were going to do loads of them.

Anyway all sorted now and lots of fresh capacity for those quieter moorings without shore power, ( a lot cheaper as well!).

H.
Until I discovered the removal of the box trick - I was going to use a car trolley jack to lift the replacements to the correst ht. before lowering them into the box......

Sad but true!