blistering

G

can any one help the fibre glass on my decks has blisterd, what advice can any one give me.

stamfordian

Visit site
Hi.
Are you sure its fibberglass that has blistered???.ie are the blisters in the gelcoat/open or are there just lumps??.Daft this bit but are your decks painted?.
If fibreglass has blistered sounds like osmosis,poke a blister on a dry day,if water comes out you got a seriuos problem,ie you will have to grind out affected area,s/then dry the decks completly out before you can repair them,otherwise problem will resurface as water has got into the laminate of the glass fibre.
Hope this is not the case.

I know i,am going to get flamed for this!!!

G

no its not painted, and it has not split ,it has just raised cut into glass no water.
thanks any more ideas how to fix it??? please

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by jay30 on 21/07/2002 21:31 (server time).</FONT></P>

dave36

Visit site
Sunburn? try calomine.
seriously I'll be following this one to see if I did it right, my solution involved grinding all the powdery stuff out, filling with thickened resin then Isopon and paint for desert.

stamfordian

Visit site
Agree with you on small damage,larger damage =grind out until good material,fix stopper to underside of split,layer tappered glass sheets into hole until proud,grind/sand flat to existing,fill inperfections with thicken resin/colured if you like rub until it hurts or paint it!!.
p,s dont forget to remove backing from underneath!!.

i am sure i,am going to get flamed for this!!!

stamfordian

Visit site
I,ve just dug out some info on glassing repairs,
from West Systems,its called:
Fiberglass Boat Repair & Maintenance.Catalogue no.002-550
Wessex Resin &Adesives ltd
189/193 spring road
Sholing,
Southampton
SO19 2NY
TEL.01703 444744.
You can go as far as fitting a new transom with the methods in this,ive found it a gods send.
cheers T.b.