Black corroded wires

PabloPicasso

Visit site
What can be done to reduce/prevent in mast wires from corroding?

I used tinned cable and it has turned black and now has high resistance.

I'd have thought it was well protected inside the mast conduit, but apparently not

How many years should we expect in-Mast wiring to last, or is that a peice of string question?

What can be done to reduce/prevent in mast wired from corroding?

I used tinned cable and it has turned black and now has high resistance.

I'd have thought it was well protectes inside the mast conduit, but apparently not

How many years would yoi expect in-Mast wiring to last, or is that a peice of string question?

Refueler

Visit site
Black wire happens ... fact. Impossible to stop it - only slow its formation.

How long does in mast wiring last ?

My in mast wiring is well over 25 yrs old and still works. If I was to check - I am sure that black wire is well advanced ..... but about 10yrs ago - I had to repair anchor and steaming lights ... scraping and cleaning the wires back to clean 'metal' had all bright and perky. Still fine today.

Note that 'black wire' starts with the negative wire in DC .... something to do with ion's I believe .. but soon both wires turn. I've noted this in many systems I have .. -ve wire turns black - then +ve follows later.
Of course with AC - its both !! All three -ve / +ve and Earth in extreme !!

Sandy

Visit site
I replaced 35 year old plain copper mast wiring with tinned three years ago. Only 10cm from each end had any sign of turning black.

What sort of power needs do you have at the top of the mast? Even with my old filament bulbs they worked OK. The replacement LEDs use a lot less power.

Recently, I have starting using blade connectors with heat shrink. While a bit more expensive like the support it gives to the end of the cable.

justanothersailboat

Visit site
Into the cable? Fit the end with the kind of crimp connector that is fitted with hot-glue-lined heat-shrink. The crimping tool compresses the wire filaments down to pretty much a block and then when you heat the heatshrink it also melts the glue inside, causing it to seal to the crimp terminal and wire insulation. Result - a wire end that is not a weak point for corrosion. They're not expensive. I wish I'd started using them earlier - now I would use them wherever possible.

PabloPicasso

Visit site
I'll try clipping the wires back from insids the cabin u der the mast, but I suspect it'll all be black and useless. But Oo can try.

If I get around tonr replacing it I'll seal with those self sealing crimp/solder termials and glue filled Heatshrink.

Hopefully will delay the inevitable!!