bit of help please

snooper66

Visit site
I have been doing abit of digging around having been toying with buying a boat for the last few months.

A further week in Spain recently has reignited my enthusiasm, albeit dampened by obstacles at every hurdle.

I have a place in Puerto Cabopino in the Med (between Calahonda and Marbella).

the first and probably defining obstacle appears to be getting a mooring - any hints or shortcuts would be appreciated. I have spoken to the Harbour Master who says that there is no waiting list, but has taken my name anyway(!) - he said only temporary births are available.

Does this mean I could rent a temporary birth every time I was in Spain (about 8 weeks a year) and berth the boat elsewhere? Are there time limits on temporary berths eg is a fortnight pushing it?

If this is possible are there any marinas nearby that are easier to get a place.

Berhs seem to be changing hands at about 30,000 euros, but apparently are not sold publicly. I would prefer to rent.

Is there a typical document (eg lease) I should ask for when considering buying a berth - how secure are these?

I would prefer to rent and would consider buying aboat with a berth - presumably I am best trying a local boat dealer. If I adopt this route, could the berth be taken away from me when I buy the boat?

All rather rambling - my next dilemma is what sort of boat to get. As it will be my first, then I am trying to keep my ambitions in check.

All I want it for is pottering about with my mates and the family, doing a bit of waterskiing/sports and being able to zip to some of the other ports on the coast.

I have had a look at the bayliner deck boats which look quite good - any other tips on what boats I should or should not look at.

Any other tips on engines etc

Maybe I am asking for all the answers in one post which is unrealistic, but I have spent a good while surfing the net, looking at mby.com, searching the used boat databases and even read sone of the RYA books.

Help.

Ta in anticipation.

<hr width=100% size=1>

lanason

Visit site
what sort of budget are you looking at ????????

<hr width=100% size=1>Adrian
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.arweb.co.uk/argallery/kelisha>More Pics of Kelisha</A> /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

hlb

RIP
Visit site
As the frog said. We need much more detail. You cant be shy here. Got to tell the world and there monkey. How much you want to spend. But as well as that. As far as I know. You can only ski off a small boat. Bigger ones are to slow to excelerate and the wake is more massive. But you will be rarely able to go port to port in a ski boat. Not enough range and too much sea. The lumps are to big. Maybe get a big boat and keep the little ski boat on the back!!

<hr width=100% size=1> <font color=blue> Haydn

lanason

Visit site
"As the frog said" - /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

<hr width=100% size=1>Adrian
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.arweb.co.uk/argallery/kelisha>More Pics of Kelisha</A> /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

oldgit

Visit site
Also do search on this forum.TCM(a poster hearabouts)and others have gone into some detail regarding the complexities and politics of owning a boat and even more desirable/unobtainable,a berth to suit your proposed boat down in that part of the world.

<hr width=100% size=1>Oooh look its still not dark and its nearly 5pm

hlb

RIP
Visit site
How abut getting a trailer boat and keeping it at your home. Then no need for long term berth and you can always trail it round to other ports if it will not make it by sea.

<hr width=100% size=1> <font color=blue> Haydn

tcm

Visit site
Yes, lots of detail to be found by searching from spain, mooring, med moorings etc.

Best advice is not try and get a mooring first : see if you can buy a boat in a sutiable marina. It's very normal for the deal to be that you buy the boat PROVIDED that you can have a berth in the same place.

Longer term, though, if you like the place, you should buy a mooring, cos they are not comonly availbale to rent as they are in the uk. 75% of med berths/marinas have been privately built, and then they sold long lease berths to recoup the massive amount of money needed to create a breakwater and proper concrete pontoons out into deep water, rather than float a few bits of wobbly wood off the banks of a widish bit of river as in the UK.

<hr width=100% size=1>