birchwood 25

gonfishing

Visit site
going to have a look at this boat shortly by description sounds o.k it is fitted with a 170hp petrol volvo also has a 9ft 6" beam o.k not a speed machine your opinions on use in the bristol channel odd crossing to ilfracoombe etc from swansea
what do you all think ?

<hr width=100% size=1>

miket

Visit site
If it's the one I am thinking of, the engine was an american V8, which I would have thought by now would be pretty well shot, and certainly very thirsty in comparison to modern petrols.
Look hard at the outdrive too. Corrosion can become terminal, if not well maintained.
The hull was what they used to call hard chine, probably equivalent to shallow vee. I would imagine a pretty hard ride, but most boats are OK if you pick the weather.
Birchwoods of that era were not the most luxurious boats, but what the hell, I expect the price is good now. ? £10k +/- ?

<hr width=100% size=1>

byron

RIP
Visit site
<font color=blue>These craft came in two versions, tunnel or stern drive. For your purposes I would thing stern drive is better, others more knowledgeable may wish to comment on this. The 25 was quite a sturdy boat and OK for limited 'estuary' type use obviously weather permitting. They are of medium vee which can make for a hard ride in any chop.
Reccomended engine size was 115 - 130 hp. Though the tunnel drive came as an 80 hp and was intended more for river use.

<hr width=100% size=1>http://www.alexander-advertising.co.uk

gonfishing

Visit site
uuummm shallow to flat bottom ,wide beam ? she will probably roll like a roro ferry in any sort of sea ?? am i right?
mike have sent you a pm

<hr width=100% size=1>

gonfishing

Visit site
hi
have just double checked spec sent, semi displacement hull fitted with 170hp volvo penta petrol commisioned 1980 from info supplied here so far it is possible this has had some kind of upgrade? if so would the larger engine have any detrimental effect?

<hr width=100% size=1>

Nick2

Visit site
We used to have a tunnel drive version which had the 80hp Ford engine. Lovely solid boat ideal for cruising Thames etc. Dont think I would fancy one with 170hp though.

Feel free to PM me if you require any info on the boat itself and I still have the original brochure with specs and speed etc if you need that sort of stuff too.

Nick

<hr width=100% size=1>Just can't understand why I'm not allowed to bring my new dinghy into the house.....

luckyjimbo

Visit site
Had a Birchwood 25 from 1994 until 1997, I had problems with the hard top leaking and holding water, windows leaking, but generally sound and sturdy, my boat came with a Volvo A145 engine and cost me a fortune, water pump failure, problems with carbs, and I never was happy with the tickover all the time I had it, used to stall always at close quarters, seem to hold their money though !!!
Regards
James

<hr width=100% size=1>

longjohnsilver

Visit site
Re: birchwood 25 - semi displacement?

Not my idea of a semi displacement hull, don't really see it as suited for the Bristol Channel. More of a flat bottomed planing hull. As others have said, expect it to slam and roll. Suggest you're better off looking for something else.

<hr width=100% size=1>

byron

RIP
Visit site
<font color=blue>I am confident that the engine has been updated at some stage because the maximum recommended by Birchwoods and the designer (E.Andrews) was 130hp. Also the spec is wrong, she is NOT semi-displacement she is a medium vee planing hull. The larger engine should not have any detrimental effect indeed it would notch up an few knots extra but I would wish to be assured the transom had been beefed up to take it. Take note of Mike's comments about the Leg... he knows what he is talking about.

<hr width=100% size=1>http://www.alexander-advertising.co.uk

Nick2

Visit site
My Birchwood 25 hardtop leaked forever and they are well known for this. With the Ford watermota (basically a Cortina engine I think) the fuel and running costs were quite low. However this set up is really suited to inland use and does'nt like reversing by the way but otherwise low speed handling is not bad.

Good fun first boat for us which we really enjoyed .

Nick

<hr width=100% size=1>Just can't understand why I'm not allowed to bring my new dinghy into the house.....

Visit site
I had one of these with a 130hp outdrive and it planed well, but it drank live Oliver Reed!

The 170 petrol to Volvos is like the "Edsel" was to Ford, any broker would smirk at the prospect of a trade in as these engines are notorious for problems.

Classic is the seawater going up the Exhaust through the leg and into the bores.

If you like the boat, bargain down. Interceptors normally fetch around 7-8K - I bought mine for five! (admittedly a while ago but prices were still around the same then.)

Its always worth a silly offer especially now, as all those mooring contracts are in the post as we speak.

Cheers

Mike

<hr width=100% size=1>