Biometric Residency Permits

nortada

Visit site
Understand that a number of EU countries have started replacing current residency documentation with the post Brexit biometric residency permit but until issued with the new permit, existing documentation will remain valid?

Question. Has anybody in Portugal been issued with the new permit and are we supposed to make an appointment with SEF (not easy) or will SEF make the initial contact (by email)?

Hopefully this will be resolved before the Easter rush. That is Easter 2021, 2-5 April.

starfire

Visit site
In Spain, current residence documents remain valid until expiry.

They are being replaced with the TIF, which will also function as an id document (it has a photo)

You have the option to replace with the TIF before expiry.

nortada

Visit site
All gov. depts. in chaos, don't hold your breath. I applied on-line to SEF in June for appointment to change my card, still waiting. Also still waiting for driving license for which I applied in February.

Thanks for this and would be really grateful of advice of any progress with your request.

My concern is, having escaped Portugal next Spring armed with the current residency document, will I be able to return come the Fall❓

Especially if the biometric card is rolled out in the interim. Suppose, if required, I could fly back earlier to get the new card but the continuing uncertainty of travel in this era of Covid could cause problems.

Suspect it could be even more difficult to get into a third EU state with out of date Portuguese residency docs.

Still hoping a Portugal/UK bilateral agreement will permit all Brits a reciprocal 6 month per year stay in either country, as post 31/12/20 all EU residents will be able to spend up to 6 months in the U.K.

A bit of reciprocity needed here.

Last edited:

nortada

Visit site
In Spain, current residence documents remain valid until expiry.

Given the overload immigration (SEF) is experiencing, hopefully, Portugal will adopt a similar policy.

On a personal level, I intend to do nothing until after the TP expires and then review the situation and act accordingly, which would make it useful to know SEFs policy.

nortada

Visit site
Since my last post on the subject. I have done a bit more digging.

Initially, I thought that the biometric residency card would be limited to non-EU nationals, with residency in an EU country (soon to be us) but on second thoughts, for the European Travel Information and Authorisation System (ETIAS) to work (similar to passport control), will all 448,000,000 EU residents have to be in the Schengen Data Base, or just those who travel in and out of the Schengen Zone? Either-way, no small administrative task!

Not surprisingly, in Portugal, it appears that only very few of the Brits and none of the locals are aware of the permit.

From my latest inquiries, I understand that SEF are no further forward with implementation.

Anybody else got any further information?

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
Since my last post on the subject. I have done a bit more digging.

Initially, I thought that the biometric residency card would be limited to non-EU nationals, with residency in an EU country (soon to be us) but on second thoughts, for the European Travel Information and Authorisation System (ETIAS) to work (similar to passport control), will all 448,000,000 EU residents have to be in the Schengen Data Base, or just those who travel in and out of the Schengen Zone? Either-way, no small administrative task!

Not surprisingly, in Portugal, it appears that only very few of the Brits and none of the locals are aware of the permit.

From my latest inquiries, I understand that SEF are no further forward with implementation.

Anybody else got any further information?

Citizen cards held by the locals have all the necessary data and, unlike our cards, can be used for travel.

nortada

Visit site
Citizen cards held by the locals have all the necessary data and, unlike our cards, can be used for travel.

But will they be compatible with the European Travel Information and Authorization System ETIAS)? If not, they will require new cards.

It is my understanding that the Schengen scheme is all to do with ETIAS, not Brexit.

Last edited:

greeny

Visit site
But will they be compatible with the European Travel Information and Authorization System ETIAS)?

It is my understanding that the Schengen scheme is all to do with ETIAS, not Brexit.

If the cards held by the citizens are not compatible it means that there are an awful lot more cards to change than just the expat ones. We may hear something by 2030 do you think? :)
Having said that, I believe ETIAS is all about controlling illegal immigration and visas for visits to EU. If that's the case, do EU residents have to have an ETIAS compatible card as they are not on a visa nor are they an immigrant.
Would it be a positive or a negative for us that the cards we have already don't work with ETIAS?

nortada

Visit site
If the cards held by the citizens are not compatible it means that there are an awful lot more cards to change than just the expat ones. We may hear something by 2030 do you think? :)
Having said that, I believe ETIAS is all about controlling illegal immigration and visas for visits to EU. If that's the case, do EU residents have to have an ETIAS compatible card as they are not on a visa nor are they an immigrant.
Would it be a positive or a negative for us that the cards we have already don't work with ETIAS?

2030 - don’t jest‼️

If all nationalities have to be issued with new cards, then the only solution (which starfire #3 has already suggest) may be, rather than a bulk replacement, replace cards when the old ones expire and this could last until 2030.

Not too sure how this would work with ETIAS❓

My New Year’s Resolution is to try to get my head around all of this by the end of Jan 21, when there should be a few more hard facts around.

Last edited:

nortada

Visit site
My wife can travel by air throughout Schengen and in/out of UK on her citizen card, as can citizens of other states so I'm pretty certain they are already standardised.

Will your wife’s current citizens card be compatible with ETIAS❓

Hope so, it will make our transition to biometric cards a lot easier.

greeny

Visit site
When I go back to UK next month I'm going to try and travel with my residence card. I was told at SEF when given it that it was electronically "loaded" with all my details so in theory I should be able to use it instead of passport. My best guess is that I'll probably get out of portugal with it but I doubt I'll get into uk.

Graham376

Visit site
When I go back to UK next month I'm going to try and travel with my residence card. I was told at SEF when given it that it was electronically "loaded" with all my details so in theory I should be able to use it instead of passport. My best guess is that I'll probably get out of portugal with it but I doubt I'll get into uk.

Will be interesting to see if its details are accepted when entering passenger info during booking. If flying with Ryan and there are problems when checking in, altering your details could cost a packet:(

greeny

Visit site
Will be interesting to see if its details are accepted when entering passenger info during booking. If flying with Ryan and there are problems when checking in, altering your details could cost a packet:(
Good thinking, hadn't thought of that. Maybe I'd better use my passport to avoid problems at check in. Plan foiled.

Graham376

Visit site
Good thinking, hadn't thought of that. Maybe I'd better use my passport to avoid problems at check in. Plan foiled.

Should be easy enough to ask check-in dolly or Ryanair desk if you can use it for travel so you will know next time. At arrivals, I will be asking if residence should be entered in passport to avoid Schengen clock.