Binbagging a sterndrive leg in the water

jointventureII

Visit site
Gave this a try this summer, in the Med. Boat was launched early January with velux on the leg. Started putting the bag on in early July when I noticed the first signs that there was some growth.

Wow, I knew it'd slow down the growth rate but it's stopped it entirely, and this is 28°c water.

I had a period of well over a month, between mid-July and mid-August where I didn't touch the boat. Upon raising the leg to take the bag off, there was nothing on there apart from a thin layer of brown goo, which fell off upon motoring out of the berth.

jointventureII

Visit site
@PCUK the B3 will need something pretty big to get over both props but it's do-able.

@marcochi76 yes I'll get some pictures tomorrow! It's literally a 100 litre black "refuse sack" (bin bag). I tilt the leg up, lean over the platform and slip it over. Thin rope around the leg, with the trailing end of the rope long enough that I tie it onto the platform, so I remember to take it off! Then tilt the leg back down.

jointventureII

Visit site
The pictures don't really make it very clear. As you can see, the bathing platform is very close to the water and is bolted on to the boat so I have very easy access. With the drive tilted all the way up, my arms get wet up almost to my shoulders when putting the bag under the skeg.

binbag2.jpeg

Then a thin line is tied around it and the tail end left in a rod holder to remind me it is there

bingbag.jpeg

jointventureII

Visit site
Yes there is still the same body of water in contact with the metallic parts / anodes so it shouldn't change anything. To be honest this measure will be adopted only during the height of summer, from eg. mid June to end of September

Other threads that may be of interest