Bilges refurb

Spyro

Visit site
I'm going to tart up the bilge area under my saloon floor boards. Looking for advice or experiences. There are a few grotty patches and I think it might have been painted or flowcoated previously. There are flakey and chipped patches. I'm thinking about flowcoat or Danboline or similar or have also read about garage floor paint. I know prep will be important so looking for any advice on technique or materials. Thanks

Porthandbuoy

www.backbearing.com
Just completed that job in the engine bay under the cockpit. I used a pressure washer, then SWMBO’s steam cleaner and scraped off all the loose flaky stuff. Finally I painted everywhere with white Hempel bilge paint.

Malabarista

Visit site
All of the above plus lots of acetone. Roofing merchants are a good source for the proper stuff. Wear a good mask. Wet and dry paper between coats. Good luck with the job

Daydream believer

Visit site
I did my last boat with white floor paint, as that was recommended by an ex boat builder. I did large areas of the internal exposed hull etc including the cockpit areas. That worked very well & was over the top of very dry resin (on wood) & applied in a factory. It lasted very well for 5 years.

In November 2018 I coated the hull sides of our club GRP committee boat around the heads compartment. (I renewed the heads installation) I fully sanded everywhere & thought that I had made a good job. I covered the GRP hull & part of a timber bulkhead. I only applied 1 coat due to time constraints. The timber bulkhead already had a coat on it to start with. I have been told that a small area up under the deck has started to peel from the GRP. This may be due to lack of ventilation before the paint had cured in cold weather, but I would now be careful of applying floor paint in anything that might be slightly damp or cold to start with.So application has to completed correctly.

Otherwise it did a good job for me.

doug748

Visit site
I find Danboline to be one of those few products that is so good I would never use anything else.

By all means have a go with garage floor paint if you have some left over but, if buying from scratch, you may have to get a fairly large can which can wipe out any saving if you have half a can left over. I have only used the stuff once, on a garage floor, and it did not perform too well. I see B n Q 2.5ltr tins work out at 13 quid a litre. Danboline about £20.

Danboline is extremely easy to apply, covers well and, I know from experience, will dry overnight in freezing temperatures. It also copes well with shoddy preparation though, obviously, the better the better.

Last edited:

Spyro

Visit site
I find Danboline to be one of those few products that is so good I would never use anything else.

By all means have a go with garage floor paint if you have some left over but, if buying from scratch, you may have to get a fairly large can which can wipe out any saving if you have half a can left over. I have only used the stuff once, on a garage floor, and it did not perform too well. I see B n Q 2.5ltr tins work out at 13 quid a litre. Danboline about £20.

Danboline is extremely easy to apply, covers well and, I know from experience, will dry overnight in freezing temperatures. It also copes well with shoddy preparation though, obviously, the better the better.

I think I'm getting sold on the Danboline. I saw a friends boat earlier in the week and he had used Danboline. It looked excellent. No votes for flowcoat yet?