Big explosions and great Kovolam

Cantata

What the heck have they been up to on Shoeburyness these past couple of days? Periods when there are four or five immense explosions, one after the other, repeated every half hour or so. There were some yesterday when we were near the Colne Bar, so probably at least 5-6 miles away, and boat shook with each one. Living in Herne Bay I've heard this stuff all my life, but nothing like this week.
And the Kovolam? No connection I hope, other than we heard some of these explosions from Brightlingsea this afternoon, and we had a take-away from the Kovolam this evening. It was absolutely excellent.

MoodySabre

I was sailing on the Crouch with a mate and were close to some of those. Eek.

We got told off off by Sentinel, the range safety boat, for tacking too close to Foulness. Instead of calling on Ch16 they motored alongside holding up a big board showing "VHF CH 72". They were near enough to have made their complaint with a loud hailer. Skipper (not me) was repentant but his card is marked.

Bru

You're in good company Rog, I got told off by sentinel on our very first sail in Erbas bringing her round from Bradwell to Burnham!

On that occasion they did call me up on 16 for all the world to hear :0

DanTribe

Last wednesday we could hear the bangs all the way to Ramsgate, and on thursday we could hear them at Mid Falls.

Bru

Dead quiet at the moment. They must all be in bed

Bru

They must all be in bed cos it's dead quiet right now :)

Or it was until a Sleasyjet jobby went right over our heads a few seconds ago. Rather looked like a go around