Beware the good deed.

owendo

Visit site
Yesterday motoring down the Wallet to West Mersea I spied a 16ft hull. It used to be a little sailing craft but now can only be described as a worthless hulk, no more or less than a danger to shipping. So me stupid to the end called the Thames Coast Guards to tell them about this

TCG “Are you in a position to help us Sir”
Me (stupid) Yes what can I do.
TCG can you take it in tow?
Me “ Yes as long a some one meets me in the Quarters and take it off my hands
TCG Yes of Course Sir

Ha ha ha .. Still got the thing, do the TCG want to help get rid of it or take responsibility ….not likely

Be warned if you find a danger to shipping floating around the coast call the guards tell them where it is and switch off your radio………..

Please do not tell me what I should have done
But if you have any constructive comments please get in touch.

<hr width=100% size=1>Mike Woodhouse
Vertue V17

ccscott49

Visit site
Pour petrol on it and set fire to it, then tll HMCG, vessel onfire spotted, that should get their finger out!

<hr width=100% size=1>

owendo

Visit site
Thanks for that but you can not even say that about it since it is made of GRP and not proper boat stuff ( wood)

<hr width=100% size=1>Mike Woodhouse
Vertue V17

ccscott49

Visit site
Ever seen GRP burn? Goes up like a flare! By the time they got there it would be down to the waterline and probably sunk!

<hr width=100% size=1>

squidge

Visit site
You did the right thing, If spotted it could have caused an unnessary emergency call out or even a collision at night. Good seamanship and good sence.But its a shame TCG didnt honor their word.You could have scuttled it but what if it hadnt sunk and floated just below the surface waiting for some poor unsuspecting sole to run over the ruddy thing.Best thing is to beach it or tie it up with a note "Free to whoever wants it".I take it there was no name or yacht club on the thing./forums/images/icons/smile.gif

<hr width=100% size=1>

castaway

uk.groups.yahoo.com
Take a digi pic of it and put it on Ebay ...you can get rid of any old junk the dustman won't take away on that!

Seriously though you did the right thing, and Im sure you feel better than had you left it as a hazard to other shipping.

Regds Nick

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.yachtsite.co.uk/fairweather>http://www.yachtsite.co.uk/fairweather</A>

<hr width=100% size=1>

BIGCHRIS

Visit site
NOOOOOOOOOO.........Please don't!!!!
In an act of bored madness I bid a tenner for a Mirror on e-bay with "two slight holes in the bottom, needs attention" and won the bloody thing!

A fool and his money play with boats.

<hr width=100% size=1>allergic to tigers