Beta 16 seawater inlet

abbott013

Visit site
Help needed here.
I am fitting a new Beta 16, and am at the stage of installing a larger seawater inlet, the installation guidelines say. quote, The inlet sea cock should be 1" BSP to which a 7/8" / 22mm hose connector can be fitted. The sea water pump is 22mm OD to suit the 22mm ID hose.
The challenge is to find a 1" BSP male x 7/8" hose tail and also suitable 22mm hose

sailorman

Visit site
Help needed here.
I am fitting a new Beta 16, and am at the stage of installing a larger seawater inlet, the installation guidelines say. quote, The inlet sea cock should be 1" BSP to which a 7/8" / 22mm hose connector can be fitted. The sea water pump is 22mm OD to suit the 22mm ID hose.
The challenge is to find a 1" BSP male x 7/8" hose tail and also suitable 22mm hose

fit a 3/4" seacock & be done with it.
my 37.5hp has that & is just fine ;)

abbott013

Visit site
Spoke to beta today and they advised me to use 1" skin fitting, ball valve and strainer with 1" bsp x 3/4" hosetail. Can i ask how easy was fitting a 3/4" pipe onto the 22mm water pump inlet.

Last edited:

sailorman

Visit site
Thats what beta said to me today, can i ask how easy was fitting a 3/4" pipe onto the 22mm water pump inlet.

heat the pipe in a kettle or with a hot air gun.
i use a longish conical s/wood former to insert into the hot pipe to stretch it allow to cool a little then fit onto the spigot add 2 x clips whilst still warm

Tranona

Visit site
I used a 3/4 inch through hull and ball valve with a 3/4" tail on a Nanni which has the same pump. No problem.

abbott013

Visit site
I am starting to come round to 3/4" fittings, makes sence with limited space. just that niggleing feeling what Beta said about using 1", and would it void the warranty. why make a engine with a 22mm inlet when it is impossible to purchase such sized fittings then advise me to down size to 3/4" after the strainer

chwarae

Visit site
I installed the 16hp Beta 3 years ago and used 1 inch/ 25 mm id pipe from the seacock to the vetus strainer through to the water pump inlet. I glued with sealant an insert into the water pipe at the pump to reduce the pipe size to fit the pump inlet fitting. No problems so far and plenty of water through exhaust. I would like to have a little more water in strainer but that may be due to height of strainer. I have also wondered if it is due to 25mm pipe being reduced to 22 mm.
Good luck.

Last edited: