Bet your boat has not got it's own.......

hlb

RIP
Visit site
Bet your boat has not got it\'s own.......

Gold mine. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Meekatharra.

Located approximately 500 kilometres inland from Geraldton, Meekatharra is the centre of a mining, sheep and cattle district. The area has many old worked out gold mines and old machinery relics.

This old gold mining area abounds with remnants of its historical past. First settled by prospectors in 1896, mining still continues today on a small scale. A visit to the ghost towns of Peak Hill and Nannine is a must for the visitor, where the ruins and old mines can be explored.

A new addition to Meekatharra’s tourism attractions, the Meeka Rangelands Discovery Trail winds around Meekatharra Creek and includes a look out from which a “superpit” mine and the town of Meekatharra can be viewed. Interpretive signage along the trail features information relating to Meekatharra’s Indigenous and settlement history.

Visit the Royal Flying Doctor Service, enjoy a video presentation of the Royal Flying Doctor Service operation and you can listen to 'School of the Air'. The State Battery stands proudly along Meekatharra Creek with other interesting relics from Meekatharra’s gold mining past.

Visit the 25 Mile Well located 40 kilometres north of town on the Great Northern Highway. During 1976, the Meekatharra Lions Club restored the well as a tribute to the old drovers and stockmen who passed that way through the years.

When the winter rains fall, the red earth around Meekatharra gives life to a dazzling array of colourful wildflowers. A must see for the fauna enthusiast. Look out for the red sturt pea – the signature flower of Meekatharra. And while you’re on the lookout, emus, kangaroos, wedge tailed eagles and bungarra lizards are all prevalent in the area.

An interesting rock formation, Peace Gorge, is just five kilometres from town off the Gascoyne Junction Road.

Kawasaki

Visit site
Re: Bet your boat has not got it\'s own.......

[ QUOTE ]
Have you been on the pop again, or am I missing something?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, You aint missing Nowt!!
But Meekatharra is.
Yammas! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

hlb

RIP
Visit site

Meekatharra underwent a significant gold rush during the mining boom of the 1980s,
So thats how she was bought and named.

Anyone else got an interesting story of how your boat was named.

pennycar9

Visit site

Mmm. Interesting post. always interested in whats going on in the antipodes.

John100156

Visit site

Boat name: Buster

Named after my father and short for 'Blitz Buster'

He was the youngest person to receive the George Medal, awarded to him in 1940 for extreme courage at the tender age of 15.

During WW2 he saved many lives when a bomb destroyed a paint factory in East London. He entered the building through a hole in the wall and I recall he said there were burning vat's of paint everywhere. Minutes after carrying out survivors and many dead (on doors or anything he could find) the entire building collapsed.

The medal was presented to him at Buckingham Palace by the King.

Subject of two Pathe news reels and more recently Series 5 Episode 6 of 'The Way We Were'!

What is most amusing is that he had run-up some motoring fines once, the chap who came to our door (I was very young) was a retired policeman who recognised him as he had witnessed these events. All fines were duly cancelled.

Should have nicknamed him 'Lucky Bugger' but glad they didn't for the boats sake..... /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

maybh1

Visit site

Bet your boat has not got its own Rolex watch /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif.

Our boat was named after their Seadweller model.

The name actually came with our last boat and we liked it so much we kept it.

Husband is a clock and watch enthusiast (don't ask - I've currently got three grandfather clocks chiming in my ear)

I did try to buy him the watch - but there was a six month waiting list. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

May
xx

peterandjeanette

Visit site

Spent 12 months working not too far from Meekatharra. Place called Paraburdoo. Iron ore exploration in 1968. Now bigger mine than Tom Price. Didn't find any gold though. If I had I wouldn't be working in Birmingham now. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

omega2

Visit site

I went there last year, January, you can have it mate, gold an all. Place of little water is a good description.

Pendana

Visit site

Hi Haydn,

I think Mucky Farter is easier to pronounce! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Boat name :- Pendana

Don't know it's origin, she was already called that when I bought her.
Best I've been able to research is Swahili for humping /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Eddie

LittleShip

Visit site

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe your missing something.

[/ QUOTE ]

Never mind H..... I understood the post.

Mine is called "Little Ship".......... well cos she is! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Spring is on the way !The gins chillin!

Tom

ccscott49

Visit site

Englander is so named, because it was second choice on the registration application!! The original builder/owner wanted Englishman, but there was a tug registered at that time in UK, its now registered in Bermuda. Still around though, up north, think she is a coastguard tug, or summat.

maybh1

Visit site

I think Little Ship is a beautifull name

May
xx

tico

Visit site

Anyone got a worse name.

1st boat was called 'Sure and Steadfast IV'

bet the owner never had to spell it phonetically
Didn't take long to change it!

Coupe

Visit site

Son Vida is also named after a place.

It is a suburb to Palma de Mallorca with fabulous views over the city & bay.

It is where MrsSV and I spent our honeymoon and return every year for our anniversary.

I have asked some of my Mallorcan friends the actual meaning and I have been offered...
His Life
Place of Life
The Life

Coupe

Visit site

My favourite too and a fabulous boat in the flesh.

[ QUOTE ]
I think Little Ship is a beautifull name

May
xx

[/ QUOTE ]