Best way to stiffen up my classic Mevagissey Tosher

Chris456

Visit site
Hi, I am the owner of a beautiful 120 year old 19ft Mevagissey Tosher. She was recently renovated in Fowey, but with her large gaff cutter rig, single handed sailing is almost impossible in anything over a force 3. She has a very shallow draft (1.3 m) and an iron keel with no ballast and I have had some very hairy moments this year where we both nearly killed each other! So to be honest I am frighten to sail her now. She is like a pit bull on the water!

I want to seek advice on what further modifications I could make to allow me to feel safe on the water in anything over a force 3. Much deeper keel, floatations options, sail pattern? I need to really stiffen her up. I simply want her to feel balanced when in full sail. Can you help me? Has anyone tried anything that has worked for them?
Chris

martinaskey

Visit site
Chris
It sounds like the boat is clear saying 'reef me early'.
Modifications to the hull seem a little extreme when the basic answer is to reduce sail.
The rig was probably sized to cope with crew and a big load of fish. so when lightly loaded and shorthanded I'd expect her to be over powered. Maybe some internal ballast when you are single handing might help ? - try bags of sand to replicate a catch !!

I had a Folkboat that had a masthead rig and massive genoa put on her by the previous owner. We had to reef incredibly early but she maintained speed when reefed and the big sail plan meant good performance in light airs. Always felt odd to be reefing when all around us where flying everything they'd got but my basic approach to all boats is to learn how the boat wants to be sailed and adapt accordingly - all part of her character.
Best wishes
Martin

bluemoongaffer

Visit site
You could look into a lighter weight mast and gaff (make them hollow) plus lightweight rigging, like dyneema. I saved about 18kg of rig weight on my 19ft gaffer. It has made a big difference to how stiff she is. Collars made the new hollow mast and I used carbon fibre for the gaff (I accept you might not want to do the latter, but just using Sitka spruce for the gaff will make a difference). Makes sail handling easier too. Plus as martinaskey says, some internal ballast will definitely help

Rum Run

Visit site
I feel Martinaskey has got the right idea with bags of shingle or sand. It was a very common method with fishing boats, as the ballast could easily be dumped over the side if a big catch was got, or if the boat had to be hauled out. Also being in bags the weight complied with the shape of the bilges so did not crush any structural elements. If you find it works out, then you probably ought to add some ceiling underneath to allow bilge water to pass by easilyand allow the planking to ventilate.
Likewise our predecessors had to sail even in light conditions unless they liked to row, so the rigs tended to be large but easily reefed. If your main doesn't have reefing points and there is no small jib, there is a simple modification straight away.

Cheers
Rum Run

DoubleEnder

Visit site
Find a small headsail. secondhand they are cheap. When you have decided on a size/shape, maybe get a nice new one. Look at similar boats and see what sort of reefing arrangements they have, talk to the people that sail them. Invest in good, easy to use reeefing arrangement for the mainsail, and practise putting the reefs in, and taking them out. Do it a few times on the mooring, no wind. Then go out in F1 or 2 and practise putting the reefs in. Then when you need to do it it will be easy. Figure out the best method eg heave to before reefing, or maybe drop the sail and rehoist with the reefs in. You may need 2 or 3 reefs. No need to alter the boat, though a few bags of stones or sand may be useful. If they become a permanent feature then something to allow water to pass beneath and keep them off the planking and frames is a good idea. It can be very simple, a few tanalised roofing laths and a few bags of ballast.

Spuddy

Visit site
Yes, a picture please. A friend and I knocked about Solent and Dorset in a tosher 40 years ago. Built by Percy Mitchell and a few feet bigger than yours. Comparing my recollections with your experiences - your boat must have proportionally bigger sail area. Try with reefs as suggested.
And if anyone has come across Dabchick recently (doubtful) or has any knowledge, please let me know

Chris456

Visit site
Thank you all, really helpful and I think I will need to add reefing as I only have 1 reefing option on the sail at the moment. I am pretty sure I don't have enough ballast either so will keep adding until she feels right.

Peerie maa

Visit site
Thank you all, really helpful and I think I will need to add reefing as I only have 1 reefing option on the sail at the moment. I am pretty sure I don't have enough ballast either so will keep adding until she feels right.

Definitely add reefs. If you need ballast use cannisters or bags of water. That won't sink you as quickly as shingle if you are knocked over.

Chris456

Visit site
Hi there thanks for that. I am currently looking at putting lead cheeks on the long iron keel to see if that helps, but definitely think I need more in the bilges as you say.

Romeo

Visit site
Furling gear on at least one of the fore sails, and efficient slab reefing on the main. Practice reefing the main on your own, so you are comfortable doing it. I have a topping lift either side of my boom, and they double up as lazy jacks. I find that has made my reefing experience pleasanter. I have a double ender, with a bit of boom overhand over the back. If you have anything like that, making sure the reefing pennants are brought back to somewhere you can get to them easily will also give you a bit more confidence than trying to lean out over the back, when single handed in a lumpy sea. Believe me.

Woodlouse

Visit site
Hi there thanks for that. I am currently looking at putting lead cheeks on the long iron keel to see if that helps, but definitely think I need more in the bilges as you say.

Careful of putting too much extra weight on the outside of the boat since that adds a lot of stress to the hull. Lead pigs in the bilges are an easy option that's kinder to the boat though as said, start with sandbags to see if more ballast is the answer you're looking for.

BoatShowAvenue

www.boatshowavenue.com
They where made to carry some weight you know? it was built to carry a crew an some pound( a lot) of fish, so it may look a bit overpowered when you sail alone, try sailing with friends, or adding some extra weights to it, it should make it more stable.