Best penetrating oil?

Refueler

Visit site
We cannot get PG here anymore ..... we get some half arsed EU based Release-Oil that sort of may work ... thats not much better than WD40 ...

An old standby - if you can warm it as well ... is straight diesel. Old Sulphur Diesel was best !!

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
Parafin is a relation of Kerosine and Diesel ... that's why.

Take care with Brake Fluid .... it can do terrible things to paintwork !!
Yes I know but it's probably easier to get hold of in small quantities than diesel for some which is why I mentioned it.

14K478

Visit site
PG seems to be vanishing. Fox's chand;ery didn't have it.

I can understand using high sulphur diesel. When we switched to low sulphur heavy fuel oil for our ships (we don't hold with "open loop scrubbers", which just dump all the filth straight into the sea) our cylinder liner wear rates tripled.

Refueler

Visit site
PG seems to be vanishing. Fox's chand;ery didn't have it.

I can understand using high sulphur diesel. When we switched to low sulphur heavy fuel oil for our ships (we don't hold with "open loop scrubbers", which just dump all the filth straight into the sea) our cylinder liner wear rates tripled.

For years - it was a big part of my business injecting Lubricity additive into LSD and ULSD .....

I still have over 6 tons of the stuff !!

The Sulphur was acting as a lubricant ....

B27

Visit site
3 in1, or similar oil is quite good, if you can warm up the problem parts.
I've used it very successfully where others have failed, but then I do have a powerful micro-hot-air 'gun'.

The other day I just used some imitation WD40 type spray, which did the job very nicely as the aerosol can and 'straw' tube was ideal to get the stuff where it was needed and nowhere else.

Synthetic motorbike engine oil is also surprisingly good, if you can wait a while for it to work.
I had some 'steel in ali' bolts which were not responding, I put some oil on thinking I'd get the blowtorch out later, came back to that project after a week and they came out easily!

Bilgediver

Visit site
An old standby - if you can warm it as well ... is straight diesel. Old Sulphur Diesel was best !!

I sailed on ships with Doxford engines fitted with big common rail fuel pumps below which was a drip tray to collect the leakage fuel. It was surprising how quickly seized items placed in the tray freed up when running on diesel.

14K478

Visit site
I sailed on ships with Doxford engines fitted with big common rail fuel pumps below which was a drip tray to collect the leakage fuel. It was surprising how quickly seized items placed in the tray freed up when running on diesel.
To the tune of "MacNamara's Band:

1. Oh my name is William Doxford and I come from Sunder-land
They say my diesel engine is the finest in the land
The pistons bang, the cranks go clang and the camshaft grinds away
And it's the bestest engine you could hear about today

Chorus
Dah dah dah dah Chuff! Chuff! Dah dah dah dah Chuff! Chuff!
Dah dah dah dah Chuff! Chuff! Dah dah dah dah.
Dah dah dah dah Chuff! Chuff! Dah Dah Dah - Dah
With action and reaction we'll go sailing on our way.

2. To see our engines functionals we open up a door
We find more cranks and crossheads than we've ever seen before
And then we pull the pistons out to calibrate the bore
And here for us to work on there are piston rings galore

Chorus

3. We calculate the horsepower by scientific means
With bits of string and paper wound on little round machines
We measure round the diagrams the power it should tell
The outcome's automatic but the engine's aw' ta hell
Chorus

etc.

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
It's the low surface tension of these products that allows them to creep into blocked or corroded threads and disrupt/ soften the bond that the corrosion has formed. A little lubrication will help but in the end it is simply a matter of getting a fluid that doesn't readily evaporate or enhance the corrosion into the threads.