Best option to possibly get crew?

davethedog

Visit site
Afternoon all,

Thinking of taking the boat from here in Port Solent to the Canary Islands in the next month (routing to be decided) and normally it would be the wife and I sailing the boat but she has some commitments and looking unlikely she can assist on the trip form here to the Canary Islands for a few months and them will be looking at November so possibly too late in the season.

So, what are peoples recommendations for getting crew for such a journey, Crewseeker or any other options? Insurance stipulates I need at least one other person on board with me but 2 would be preferable of course!

Cheers

DTD

jbweston

Visit site
The Cruising Association has a group putting skippers and crew together - their Crewing Service. I guess some other clubs do too. Some years ago I found two excellent crew through a similar group for Little Ship Club members.

I think one of your challenges is the tight time scale. Personally I wouldn't want to take crew for a serious passage unless we'd had at least one shorter trial session, say a weekend, sailing and living on the boat first. It's not just competence, it's what are they like to live with - do they drink, are they argumentative, how helpful are they, do they turn up with an accordion and a supply of crack cocaine. And of course they need to check out the skipper for the same things with the added factor of will the skipper be safe to sail with.

davethedog

Visit site
Yes, am starting to think that may have left it too late to do the trip this year as the wife usually sails with me but she cant depart the UK until mid November earliest which may be far too late to do the trip!

Other threads that may be of interest