Best Onboard Vacuum Cleaner?

CaptainBob

www.yacht-forum.co.uk
What's the best one in your opinion? Or do you prefer a simple dustpan/bruch option. I'm thinking that a "dustbuster" style gizmo could be very handy for some of the tight spots that always seem to gather dust.

We have shore power, but I think one that can plug in to a car lighter socket to charge could be handy on occasion.

Any recommendations?

TY!

sarabande

Visit site
the tiny Dyson runs out of battery in about 5 mins /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

I have a Waeco, but the B&Q 12v car ones seem to have better suction and to charge more quickly.

Dustpan and brush for 95% of the cleaning.

Visit site
We have a Ryobi 700 watt AC wet and dry, and it's the best tool on our boat because it BLOWS as well as sucks, so you can clean out water or fuel lines very easily. It used to made by VAX but they don't sell them any more.

Flossdog

Visit site
Bought a Draper one after trying lots of 12v ones which hardly had any suck. Althought 240 volts, I do have a generator on board, it is worthwhile to get the serious suction that you only get with 240v.
here

Searush

back2bikes.org.uk
A small dog is very good for hoovering up any food morsels, but creates its own problem with hair everywhere.

Seriously, with a boat I wouldn't even consider an electric cleaner - its just a complete waste of money, and electricity. It is an unnecessarily complicated solution to a problem with a simple, natural & effective solution.

Just use a dustpan & handbrush. It's cheap, completely reliable, simple & easy to use. It is also far more effective that any 12v electric cleaner. Save your eco-footprint for something that you actually need - like cooking.

BarryT

Visit site
Another recommendation for the draper (or one of the other similar mini 240v cleaners) which doesn't take up much space - You'll only ever use it to tidy up when you're in a marina anyway and the extra power over a cordless is a big bonus.

Rabbie

Visit site
Bob, I recommend the small VAX rechargeable type highly. Lasts for weeks on 1 charge at home and has a great 'suck'. Miss mine greatly as I dropped it in the drink when leaving the boat last year. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Adaero

www.tulliana.adaero.co.uk
[ QUOTE ]
Bob, I recommend the small VAX rechargeable type highly. Lasts for weeks on 1 charge at home and has a great 'suck'. Miss mine greatly as I dropped it in the drink when leaving the boat last year. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

What VAX model is it as I've just found about 5 different types on line?

I can't believe how much dust we accumulate on the boat, its worst than being at home with 2 big hairy dogs!! We have tried the old pan & brush route but we seem to just spead half of it about rather than pick it all up.

Many thanks

Pasarell

Visit site
I looked at a variety of rechargeable cleaners last year but they all had very short battery life. In the end went for a 12v B&D Pivot Nose which plugs into boat system. Its got good suction and the lead is long enough to stretch to all parts of the boat. It does take about 6 amps which needs to be considered in power consumption when I only have a 65AH domestic battery.

TQA

sailingonelephantschild.blogspot.com
I have a mains shop vac on board. It is a generic but does the business wet and dry. It is the smallest version. It has been going for 11 years and made the transition from our RV to the boat 9 years ago.

It gets the Sahara dust off the decks and the cat hairs out of ----------------- EVERYWHERE.

RupertW

Visit site
Dyson for Pets works well for us and has last 6 years so far. The battery doesn't last that long - perhaps 15 mins if you have the odd 30 second break but that's as long as it takes us for a 42 footer, and then it just goes back on charge on the inverter as it doesn't seem power hungry.