Best ever bargain Centaur? Or is there something wrong?

dancrane

Visit site
I don't know what the average asking price is, for Centaurs at the moment. Probably around £5,000 or a bit more? That's all this chap's asking for his. I doubt she'll be on the market long...

...she had new standing rigging three years ago, and unbelievably, she had a new Beta 20hp, 18 months ago. That engine must have cost lots more than the vendor is asking for the whole boat. Only 37 hours on the engine.

Headlining's been done, too. And her berth (Walton, Suffolk) is paid till April.

Call me suspicious, but is she too good to be true? Have a look: https://westerly.apolloduck.com/boat/westerly-centaur/589775

PS, Pete Cooper, your forum mailbox is full! I tried to reply but there's no room in your inbox.;)

Last edited:

Tam Lin

Visit site
If that’s the price for a refurbished Centaur, I am crying! The Beta engine is a plus, mine pushes the boat along easily. It should take away a major potential expense. As long as the keels are fixed on properly and the sails are ok then she seems like a bargain.
If you want a Centaur owner to come and see her with you then you can pick me up as you go past!

Spyro

Visit site
If you take a centaur value of approx 3k, spend 5k on an engine, 1.5-2k on sails, 1k on standing rigging it doesn't make it a 10k boat sadly it's still by today's standards a small 45 year old boat so at 5k it's probably a good buy and sensibly priced to sell. It's a boat that appeals to Sailors who were around when they came to the market but have a limited market now.

Seajet

Visit site
If you take a centaur value of approx 3k, spend 5k on an engine, 1.5-2k on sails, 1k on standing rigging it doesn't make it a 10k boat sadly it's still by today's standards a small 45 year old boat so at 5k it's probably a good buy and sensibly priced to sell. It's a boat that appeals to Sailors who were around when they came to the market but have a limited market now.

Or experienced sailors who know what they're talking about not trendy nonsense; what exactly would you suggest to do the same versatile, seaworthy job as a Centaur ?

That being said, Dan I can't see any sign of reinforced keel stubs -edit yes mentioned but needs details - vital but an easy DIY job - or much in the way of electronics ?

Last edited:

dancrane

Visit site
Thanks Pete! Message sent. :encouragement:

Four measly photos? Is that it?

I'm always surprised when sellers show too few - or such ill-judged or badly-focused pics. The pics in this case are no worse than average.

Are you tempted?

I am, rather. But I don't want to spend even as much as £5,000.

But considering the main reason so many still-good, tough old Centaurs are now so cheap, is their tired old engines and the cost of replacing them, the fact that this owner is selling an example with a virtually new engine, and absorbing its cost, must be remarkable.

The rest of the boat looks pretty fair, too.

You gents all make good points. But I still think it's a first, to see a recently re-engined, re-headlined Centaur going for the same money as some truly rotten ones. Most sellers don't mention when their standing rigging was replaced - they probably can't remember.

You're right Andy, she's not laden with new nav-gear, but I reckon I'd be happier with really sound new basic equipment, than a tired one decked out in distracting electronics. A bargain for somebody. :)

Last edited:

JumbleDuck

Visit site
Headlining looks excellent in the saloon, a shame Westerly could not do that.

They could. They made an excellent job of it. However, the foam backing on the vinyl disintegrated twenty five years later, giving the bedouin tent effect Westerly owners know and love. I expect the replacement stuff will disintegrate after another twenty five years.

Keith 66

Visit site
I have personally seen three Centaurs that "Had had their keels done" One bodged by the owner & two supposedly by professional boatyards, those last two also had recent surveys. Both had never been reinforced at all & were desperately in need of it.
To do it properly is a heavy duty job beyond most owners. Thats why it costs.
Buyer beware.

VicS

Visit site
I don't know what the average asking price is, for Centaurs at the moment. Probably around £5,000 or a bit more? That's all this chap's asking for his. I doubt she'll be on the market long...

...she had new standing rigging three years ago, and unbelievably, she had a new Beta 20hp, 18 months ago. That engine must have cost lots more than the vendor is asking for the whole boat. Only 37 hours on the engine.

Headlining's been done, too. And her berth (Walton, Suffolk) is paid till April.

Call me suspicious, but is she too good to be true? Have a look: https://westerly.apolloduck.com/boat/westerly-centaur/589775

PS, Pete Cooper, your forum mailbox is full! I tried to reply but there's no room in your inbox.;)

You need more info / a close inspection of the keel roots. Esp important wit an East coast boat which may have been moored in deep sticky mud that tends to keep hold of the keels when the boat tries to float! Sometimes the mud wins , then the boat sinks!

Its an early one so the lower shroud attachment points are above the cabin windows ( can see that in one of the pictures) Check for signs of leaks here unless it has been strengthened.

It will probably also have a spade rudder, The later type, with a bit of a skeg, handle better

I note it has an Origo stove. that means you will have to keep stocks of highly flammable meths ( or similar). If it had the original Westerly gas system that would have need a major revamp to bring it up to modern standards so at least you are spared that possibility with the Origo.

Last edited:

Wansworth

Visit site
There are I suspect quiet a few oldish gents with small yachts that have come to the conclusion that they cannot really justify having even a small boat and maybe find the looking after becoming a chore and even going out ,staying in marinas,harbour dues is just not explainable in terms of enjoyment.The easiest thing is to sell it on at whatever price they can and to some extent cut further expense,they have had years of enjoyment and now need to get rid of it before it becomes a burden in terms of cash and work

Seajet

Visit site
That's a pretty negative view Wansworth; a chum of mine got the Centaur bargain of the century as the owner had already bought a Fulmar.

Come to that, I know a good twin keel Seawolf 26 going, owner has a bigger boat now - we haven't all given up just yet. :)

Iliade

Shoreham - up the river without a paddle.
www.airworks.co.uk
Check deck for softness (balsa cored apparently.)
Keel stubs not really an issue unless the boat is kept on a drying mooring.
Rudders can be damaged.

Maybe the owner has just spotted their dream boat and needs to unencumbered themselves quickly. Certainly I've been in that situation before.
Mine costs me about a quarter of it's value every year in mooring fees and that is in a club, on what was when I took it, a 'dead mans shoes' mooring.

Seajet

Visit site
Check deck for softness (balsa cored apparently.)
Keel stubs not really an issue unless the boat is kept on a drying mooring.
Rudders can be damaged.

Maybe the owner has just spotted their dream boat and needs to unencumbered themselves quickly. Certainly I've been in that situation before.
Mine costs me about a quarter of it's value every year in mooring fees and that is in a club, on what was when I took it, a 'dead mans shoes' mooring.

Well you could do much more economically in a way better place to operate from my club in Chichester Harbour then, feel free to PM me. :)

RichardS

N/A
Visit site
Evereyone knows what a Centaur looks like. Someone buying a Centaur wants to know what the headlining, engine and keels look like. Job done.

You're going to be really pee'd off when you take the time and trouble to go and see it and find that the places not shown in the photos have been used for storing the owners collection of vintage dog shit. :encouragement:

Richard