Best brush or scrubber to clean slime off hull?

Keith-i

Visit site
My boat lives on a drying mooring and accumulates a growth of green slime over the summer months. In between haulouts and antifouling I tend to control it by occasionally spraying with bleach and letting it naturally fall off. However, sometimes the build-up is too great and it needs a bit of persuasion to come away. I've tried strong bristle brushes but they rapidly clog and thereafter have no effect. Are there any alternatives worth trying? It doesn't require much friction, and I wonder if a window squeegee might even be enough although it wouldn't conform to the shape of the hull sufficiently.

Chiara’s slave

Visit site
The key is to do it often. Once a fortnight at least in the growing season, may to september. I do mine every week if possible, but I’m well known to be obsessional. I get in the water once a fortnight, and brush from the deck in between.

B27

Visit site
I have a few tools, including a slightly flexible plastic scraper on a stick.
It works for the stuff that clogs brushes or scouring pads.
It is just flexible enough to adapt to the curve of the hull.
Astro turf on a pad is good. It comes in various grades, it seems cheaper the better, but some suppliers will generously send you samples....

Sailing steve

Visit site
I've made an effective scrubber out of an empty plastic 5ltr paint can with some astroturf wrapped round it and some scrap wood fixed to the ends of the can for a handle. Works a treat - force it underwater and the buoyancy of the empty can presses the astroturf firmly onto the hull and cleans the crud off as it floats back up to the surface.

All out of a skip so didn't cost a penny - which I like very much.

Chiara’s slave

Visit site
I have 3 implements to hand if I’m in the water. Green scourer, a sp9nge, and a 6” scrubbing brush. Each used according to need. That is for coppercoat though. I use just a sponge on our XOD, it has T-Speed hard racing. Even a sponge removes noticeable amounts of paint. By September, it’s almost bare epoxy primer.

greeny

Visit site
I stopped washing my hull whilst in the water due to the excessive clouds of antifoul paint that was coming off and onto me. Not 100% sure what's in it but it can't be good for you. I only wash the waterline now whilst swimming.

StefanSG

Visit site
I have a few tools, including a slightly flexible plastic scraper on a stick.
It works for the stuff that clogs brushes or scouring pads.
It is just flexible enough to adapt to the curve of the hull.
Astro turf on a pad is good. It comes in various grades, it seems cheaper the better, but some suppliers will generously send you samples....

I use something similar to this (search Ebay item 166564171337) Long stick gives a bit of reach and can be used two handed. Mines actually a telescopic version with two sections

Chiara’s slave

Visit site
I stopped washing my hull whilst in the water due to the excessive clouds of antifoul paint that was coming off and onto me. Not 100% sure what's in it but it can't be good for you. I only wash the waterline now whilst swimming.
A couple of knots of tide pull the detritus and removed paint away before it gets near me.

PabloPicasso

Visit site
I cable tied a fender to a garden brush, which worked ok.

The scribbis wins as the angle of the tube going to the cleaning head is better.

Now i know, it'd be easier to self build a scrubber with a stiff brush or, apparently, astroturf head, a fender, and a better angled handle

johnalison

Visit site
Many years ago we learned of a technique that involved a long strip of carpet about nine inches wide with a line at each end. Two people could clean almost the whole hull by sliding it back and forth, angling it across at the keel. We tried it a couple of times and it sort of worked.

Chiara’s slave

Visit site
Many years ago we learned of a technique that involved a long strip of carpet about nine inches wide with a line at each end. Two people could clean almost the whole hull by sliding it back and forth, angling it across at the keel. We tried it a couple of times and it sort of worked.
You can buy a sort of long scourer to do that. I’d love one for Chiara, but of course the trampolines, not to mention the massive flare out of the hull would make it useless.

William_H

Visit site
I am with Chiara I scrub in water once per week after about 6 weeks from new a/f. After a few months end of season paint almost gone. Paint coming off the hull does not seem to be a worry. ol'will