Bent Prop Shaft

Norman_E

Visit site
Some years ago I was shown a picture, taken in dry dock, of a ship where the prop shaft had been bent almost 90 degrees. There were great chunks missing from the propeller and sternpost. The story was that the ship had been re-engined and sent on sea trial. In the measured mile, on test for maximum speed, a regular and increasing banging had been heard, culminating with an almighty bang and the engine stalling. Apparently the shaft had been installed with no lubricant, and become so hot that the weight of the propeller had bent it, causing the blades to repeatedly strike the sternpost. Does anyone have a copy of the photo, which showed a small group of men looking up at the damage?

Norman_E

Visit site
I forgot to say that it was at least 25 and probably nearer 30 years ago when I saw the photo. It was shown to me by a retired marine accident investigator, who showed it when lecturing to clubs & soceties. It would make a great "caption competition" photo.

landaftaf

Visit site
sounds a good dit .... but stern tubes in those days were still mainly lined with ligum vitae, and lubricated by sea water ......
the 'new' oil glanded stern tubes had temp sensors and header tanks with alarms [/list] ......
finally, the heat needed to distort the prop shaft like that would be dissapated through the surrounding metal work and water - so I rekon its a myth

anyway - I agree the foto would be interesting

/forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Norman_E

Visit site
Not a myth. I saw the photo, taken before the days you could fake them with any computer. Dredging my memory I think the ship was in a German or Scandinavian shipyard, quite possibly somewhere in the Baltic.

Other threads that may be of interest