Beneteau antares 760

seasick

Visit site
I have a problem with rain water ingress., and cannot find where the rainwater comes in. I have checked the stanchions, FW supply, hatches, anchor well and windows, but all seems ok all though of course it is difficult to be 100% positive. However perhaps another owner of a 760 has had a similar problem and can offer advice.
Fingers crossed that someone can help as i don't fancy standing out in the cold again with a hosepipe , and getting drenched!
Thanks in advance

Plum

Visit site
I have a problem with rain water ingress., and cannot find where the rainwater comes in. I have checked the stanchions, FW supply, hatches, anchor well and windows, but all seems ok all though of course it is difficult to be 100% positive. However perhaps another owner of a 760 has had a similar problem and can offer advice.
Fingers crossed that someone can help as i don't fancy standing out in the cold again with a hosepipe , and getting drenched!
Thanks in advance

Sorry to hear of your problem. I have a 760 too but do not have the problem. Are you sure it is rainwater? Where are you finding the water?

Colin. Www.solocoastalsailing.co.uk

Last edited:

seasick

Visit site
I lifted the two front cabin floor panels which revealed the white fibre glass double skin. There is 1 hole in each panel through which one can see the grey hull. Water in the void overflows into the fibre glass cavity. I have emptied this overflow by vacuum until the grey area appears dry. The water is definitely fresh ( I tasted it)as I have already drained the FW tank. Area stays dry until it rains. I beginning to think that it must be in the cockpit area. Thanks for your interest.

BruceK

Visit site
Are you sure it's rainwater as you've done the hose check? i.e. Do you have a freshwater tank / plumbing leak? Different boat similar problem with freshwater in the bilge. I traced mine to a shower drainage pipe leak at a connector. Lots of head scratching, 5 minute fix. Hope yours is similar

Plum

Visit site
I lifted the two front cabin floor panels which revealed the white fibre glass double skin. There is 1 hole in each panel through which one can see the grey hull. Water in the void overflows into the fibre glass cavity. I have emptied this overflow by vacuum until the grey area appears dry. The water is definitely fresh ( I tasted it)as I have already drained the FW tank. Area stays dry until it rains. I beginning to think that it must be in the cockpit area. Thanks for your interest.

I get water in exactly the same place but mine is definitely salt water. I have never had to remove more than a pint. My water only reappears after cruising at a fastish speed or rough water as after these conditions a see evidence of water having sprayed out the top of the rudder stock and the only place I can find the restingplace of that water is in the same place you are finding yours. If my deduction is correct then there certainly is a route for water in the stern to run under the inner moulding to the lowest point under the rorecabin sole. Ironically my water does not run into the sump in the inner moulding under the propshaft where the bilgepump pickup pipe is.

bluejasper2

Visit site
hi if you 760 has fishing rod holders in the teak capping these are open bottomed, if any water gets through the bung it goes straight inside of hull this happened on mine and my now series 9.

Plum

Visit site
hi if you 760 has fishing rod holders in the teak capping these are open bottomed, if any water gets through the bung it goes straight inside of hull this happened on mine and my now series 9.

The standard fit original rod holders on my 760 go through the teak capping but do not pass through the hull moulding so there is no way water can get inside the boat through them.

seasick

Visit site
Thanks the tips re rod holders. I have an additional 4 fitted which do pass thru the teak capping, however they look quite sound, but I will double check them. Meanwhile I think I have found the problem. In the cockpit are two water run- offs, on the stbd side the fibre glass gully goes straight out onto the bathing platform. On the port side the gully terminates in a stainless fitting. The silicon mastic has perished and allows water to run down into the outermost bilge gully and make its way along to the cabin. Might be worth a maintenance check over for other 760 owners . Thanks again

Plum

Visit site
Thanks the tips re rod holders. I have an additional 4 fitted which do pass thru the teak capping, however they look quite sound, but I will double check them. Meanwhile I think I have found the problem. In the cockpit are two water run- offs, on the stbd side the fibre glass gully goes straight out onto the bathing platform. On the port side the gully terminates in a stainless fitting. The silicon mastic has perished and allows water to run down into the outermost bilge gully and make its way along to the cabin. Might be worth a maintenance check over for other 760 owners . Thanks again

Thanks. Very useful. On mine the port side cockpit drain gully just leads to a hole through the transoms in one seamless white GRP moulding. There is no metal fitting and therefore no mastic. Mine is one of the early models of 1999 so maybe they changed the design later. Let me know how you get on.

pondfish

Visit site
Mine has the same ss fitting so worth keeping an eye on thanks for the info

bucha1002

Visit site
I also have a 760 (2002) no water problems, but if any one out there can source me an owners manual it would be much appreciated, bought the boat, owner was on holiday, his mate said there was no manual, totally stumped at times

Plum

Visit site
I also have a 760 (2002) no water problems, but if any one out there can source me an owners manual it would be much appreciated, bought the boat, owner was on holiday, his mate said there was no manual, totally stumped at times

The owners manual does not tell you much but i can email you a copy when i get back from my cruise up the thames. Send me a pm in a week fro now to remind me. Is there anything in specific you need help with?

Www.solocoastalsailing.co.uk

tomaz_slo

Visit site
I also can't find the source of rain ingress in my A760. Thought that were air intakes but not. Rain is collecting in both compartments besides engine - on port side and if a lot of rain also on starboard. It can't be from the cockpit or front cabin as there are barriers.
I am suspecting windshield corners. There is also aluminium frame corroded. I can see only that the vertical sound insulation in engine compartment is wet. Maybe known problem?

simonfraser

Visit site
Take all the external screws out and rebed them, sikkaflex or similar
remove all the deck fittings and check under, I had power lead to the roof light leak, did have sealant on the lead into the ole, just not all the way round
as you mention corroded windscreen surrounds also a problem, newer MF bedded to screen straight onto the GRP

Scorpleo

Visit site
I have the same problem on mine , ive seen evidence of water in where the fuel is but i fail to see how it’s getting in there 🤷‍♂️