Bene 473 keel / hull design

Visit site
I am planning to put our Beneteau 473 on cribbing posts to clean and antifouling, the guys doing the power wash asked if it was designed to stand on keel - I had assumed it would be but it got me thinking and thought I had better check before the hull starts getting nearer to bottom!!!!

Does anyone know about this, the Bene user manual only referred to lifting in slings.

shortjohnsilver

Visit site
Ashore, its stood on its keel and supported by the cradle arms, not suspended. When ashore for the winter the yard will stand it the cradle stepped on a length of wood on its keel. I dry mine out regularly against scrubbing posts and all good, just have to crouch down more under her. No problem.

Visit site
Thanks for responding. It’s supported in the yard in a cradle (most if not all load appears to be taken on the keel) with the other side supports providing lateral stability. The team fit props to bow and stern but only as a precaution- it has wintered without these previously.

Bobc

Visit site
She's quite a big girl to be on scrubbing posts. I wouldn't.

With a wide beam and flat bottom, you may put too much load on the hull structure without any supports, a d damage it.

Is this a risk you are willing to take?

As I say, I wouldn't.

Visit site
Thanks for your good advice, I was of the same opinion so have referred to Beneteau for their comments, not expecting anything posative anytime soon so will probably be arranging a haul out, thanks again.

greeny

Visit site
I owned a 473 for a good few years and sold her in 2009. She was lifted out every year and stood on her keel with hull supports only there to stop her falling over. Never any concern to me. One obvious sign of hull distortion is often internal doors and locker doors sticking and catching when sitting on the hard. This never happened on the 473. I'm not sure what the perceived difference is between sitting on the scrubbing bay or sitting on the hard. Either way, 100% boat weight is on the keel.

Tranona

Visit site
My concern would be solely about whether it would remain level fore and aft. It is fairly shallow draft with a long chord keel and an extended bulb so should not be "tippy*

greeny

Visit site
Can be different keels on the 473. Mine was a "short" keel version. Never showed any tendency to tip forward and the bow prop was usually put in last as a precaution as I remember.

Visit site
Thanks everyone, our keel is the deep draft version giving 2.1m draft. The hard at our scrubbing posts is quite steeply inclined so the flat bottomed build at base of keep would have to settle at an angle of 20 degrees or so with resultant rising of bows and dropping g off of stern.
I am beginning to think this a non starter.