BBC man jailed for making hoax Lifeboat call

RAI

Visit site
Alasdair Munro, 55, of Kyleakin, made his call on 30 October 2013 and said a yacht was in trouble on Loch Hourn.
He was found guilty and jailed for four months following a two-day trial at Portree Sheriff Court in Skye.

Why the link to a "BBC man"?

lpdsn

Visit site
I guess he wasn't smart enough to withhold caller ID.

Seriously, what do you think withholding caller ID does? The caller information still follows the call for billing purposes (and there's a lot more interconnect charging between providers than you'd imagine).

Keef

Visit site
Seriously, what do you think withholding caller ID does? The caller information still follows the call for billing purposes (and there's a lot more interconnect charging between providers than you'd imagine).

Exactly. Fortunately idiots like that are rare. You would be able to get away with such criminal mischief if your brain was working, fortunately he was apprehended. We should be thankful that most criminals are actually pretty stupid. His actions could have cost people their lives.

Blue Sunray

Visit site
Alasdair Munro, 55, of Kyleakin, made his call on 30 October 2013 and said a yacht was in trouble on Loch Hourn.
He was found guilty and jailed for four months following a two-day trial at Portree Sheriff Court in Skye.

Why the link to a "BBC man"?

I rather suspect that the OP neglected their punctuation and that they in fact meant

"BBC, man jailed for making hoax Lifeboat call"

agurney

agurney.com
I guess he wasn't smart enough to withhold caller ID.

Doesn't make a difference to the network, the information's in the signalling that's used set the call up in the first place.
They even still make movies where the bad guys think it takes 30 seconds or so to trace a call ...

ShinyShoe

Visit site
No caller ID involved. He used VHF. Thats all I know.

Confused by a not guilty plee, followed by an apology at the end. The back story would be rather interesting I suspect.

EdWingfield

Visit site
Re the hoax I know of, the caller reported seeing a little fishing boat on the rocks. The LB got a bearing of the transmission on the coast. A Sea King flew along the coast and saw no casualty, but did report a lone car in a clifftop car park. The cops visited the two occupants and noticed a HH vhf. Nought happened.

Perhaps this prosecution shows we have a Management rethink?

Mark-1

Visit site
No caller ID involved. He used VHF. Thats all I know.

Confused by a not guilty plee, followed by an apology at the end. The back story would be rather interesting I suspect.

Interesting point. Be nice to see more detail of his defence.