Battery testing

jzaat

Visit site
Hi,

Does anyone have a good, simple and reliable testing mechanism to determine the state of GELCELL batteries.
I have a couple of 8D type gelcells that don't seem to be holding their charge for very long.

Thanks for any input

Jeroen

<hr width=100% size=1>

Evadne

Visit site
As I have not heard of a solid-state hydrometer, the best method I can think of is the one you have tried, i.e. charge them up and see how long they take to discharge. You could string together some 12V lamps and a current meter, then measure the time taken to discharge to give you the Amp-hours held by the battery. The nominal value should be printed on the side.
In my experience of using the smaller ones, gel-type batteries don't last very long, especially if left unused for any length of time.

<hr width=100% size=1>

ccscott49

Visit site
I shopuld imagine you could use the standard high load, volt drop tester as used for all lead acid batteries, you will need to remove them to a battery expert and see what he can do, call him first. The lights etc, will not really tell you anything, apart from how long they take to discharge down to a given voltage, but what voltage? etc. You need to test them properly, so the battery expert might be your best bet.

<hr width=100% size=1>

oldsaltoz

Visit site
G'day jzaat,

It may be a faulty cell in one battery pulling them both down if they are connected in any way.

A multimeter should indicate the available voltage in each (when disconnected), get the lower properly tested.

If you have a battery condition indicator, volt meter or amp meter fitted you can run up the engine on one battery at a time and note the readings.

Hope this helps......

<hr width=100% size=1>Andavagoodweekend, Old Salt Oz /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

jzaat

Visit site
Thanks.
Noticed that at least one of them is sort of bulging out on the sides.
Seem to have read that this means that they have been overcharged...
I guess that this is irreversible? and damaging....

<hr width=100% size=1>

ccscott49

Visit site
I dfo believe you have solved your own problem, batteries should definitely bulge!!

<hr width=100% size=1>