Battery manufacture for a leisure lead/acid leisure battery

Peter

Visit site
Another cost (what's the saying, owing a boat is like standing under a shower lighting £££££££ notes) before going back into the water, need new house batteries, 440Ahr approx capacity. For now looking for a standard lead acid leisure battery not a high price AGM battery before any replies on fitting them. the spec on most leisure batteries seems to be similar, approx 500 cycles, some cranking ability 2 to 3 year warranty. From the various battery manufactures, Numax, Optima, Varta, Enduroline, Elecsol, Trojan (possibly to expensive at the moment) and Exide. Which is the best battery to buy a regards quality, performance, price, realistic life, etc.

Thanks

Peter

Tranona

Visit site
An impossible question to answer as there are so many variables, particularly in the way they are used and maintained by individual users. Very few people have sufficient experience of using different batteries from new to dead in similar circumstances to give any objective advice.

I am sure some people have strong personal preferences, but if the past threads on this subject are anything to go by, you will be more confused at the end than now! Unless of course somebody elses's preference chimes in with yours!

BTW just bought 2*135Amp deep cycle lead acid from a company called Shield Batteries in Bishops Stortford for around £300. Why? cheapest to the spec I wanted, sized exactly to fit the space available, posts in the right location and delivered to the boat from the local branch in Poole. Will tell you in X years' time whether they were a good buy or not.

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
All my domestic 110 Ah batteries have been bought according to what was available at the supplier, the main criterion being that they fitted the moulded space available. Two were bought at a garage in Aberystwyth, two at a chandlery in Rochefort and I don't remember the other two. I have no idea what make any of them were. I have owned the boat for 15 years now and have only had two sets of batteries in that time, the latest ones in 2004/5 and still going strong. The message being that it probably doesn't make much difference what you buy.

Porthandbuoy

www.backbearing.com
Recently bought two Elecsol 110Ah carbon fibre leisure/starting batteries. Elecsol claim more Ah per kg and more cycles than any other make. They also claim their carbon fibre batteries can be discharged deeper than conventional leisure batteries without harm; provided you don't leave them in a discharged state too long I assume. Whether these claims are true or not, only time will tell.

I think battery longevity is mostly dependant on how you look after them.

KellysEye

www.kellyseye.net
Are you using it as a cranking battery if so 100 cranking amps is normal. Or are you looking for a house battery, in which case don't touch a cranking battery get a deep cycle battery such as Trojan. If you are using it for both functions stick with the cranking battery. Using it as a house battery won't help it's life but a deep cycle battery would be killed by regular cranking.

AOWYN

www.clinksystems.com
Battery recommendation

I have had excellent service from Shield Batteries of Bishop's Stortford.
They have an American deep cycle product called Crown. Their 31DC36 model is 20hour rated at 140ah in the same size case as the normal 110ah battery.
So far so good