Battery Link Switch Question

Irish Rover

Visit site
I have 2 x Yanmar 8lv320 engines on my boat. At the helm there's a separate start switch panel for each engine with power on/start/ and emergency stop buttons. Separately there's a Battery link switch, which is a spring loaded push switch. I assume I need to keep it depressed to link the House bank to the engine start batteries. How can I be sure if it's working?
My reason for asking the port engine refused to start today. I depressed the link switch to check if it was a bad battery but it made no difference. I got a local mechanic to have a quick look and he rekons it's the starter motor. However, he only had a few minutes to spare and said he would come tomorrow to investigate further.

petem

www.fairlineownersclub.com
I have 2 x Yanmar 8lv320 engines on my boat. At the helm there's a separate start switch panel for each engine with power on/start/ and emergency stop buttons. Separately there's a Battery link switch, which is a spring loaded push switch. I assume I need to keep it depressed to link the House bank to the engine start batteries. How can I be sure if it's working?
My reason for asking the port engine refused to start today. I depressed the link switch to check if it was a bad battery but it made no difference. I got a local mechanic to have a quick look and he rekons it's the starter motor. However, he only had a few minutes to spare and said he would come tomorrow to investigate further.
The link switch will power a solenoid, presumably in your engine room adjacent to your batteries. You should hear a click when you press it (as it's a "momentary" switch you need to keep it pressed for it to work). I'd have thought that you'd see a change on your voltage meters when it is pressed.

Irish Rover

Visit site
The link switch will power a solenoid, presumably in your engine room adjacent to your batteries. You should hear a click when you press it (as it's a "momentary" switch you need to keep it pressed for it to work). I'd have thought that you'd see a change on your voltage meters when it is pressed.
Thanks. I need an assistant. Swith is on the flybridge. Voltage meters in the salon. Engines under the bunks in the cabins.