battery life

snowleopard

Visit site
had a bank of batteries die on me after 18 months, never having been seriously discharged. i put it down to lying unused their first winter.

now i read in the info sheet with my new sterling charger that 'leisure' batteries are only good for 3-5 months for liveaboards.

do you have this type of battery and if so, how long do they last?

<hr width=100% size=1>

ccscott49

Visit site
3-5 months!! Bullshit! My liesure batteries are now 3 years old, get a hammering on my liveaboard, they are still fine. My last lot, lasted 8 years. they were showing signs of sulphation, before I went over to a three stage charger, I replaced them, before coming down to the meddy.

<hr width=100% size=1>

aph

Visit site
Likewise. I have 2 banks total 700 AH which have been in 3 years. Keep them topped up and charged. Balmar Alternator, smart charger, and AirMarine Wind Gen. Fitting solar panels this year. Previous set (similar 700AH) I purchased in Turkey and they were heavy duty truck batteries. (cheap). Prophets of doom said I would get 6 months out of them if I was lucky. They lasted 8 years until I put this lot in. (purchased in Spain)

<hr width=100% size=1>

DavidJ

home in Brum. S37 sold, was in Med Spain.
Visit site
Small bit of secondhand battery knowledge coming out here.

Battery life is proportional to the thickness of coating on the plates therefore the less reputable manufacturers can put enough on to just get over the guarantee period. It's always best to go for the longest guarentee period with batteries because that's an indication that there will be a greater thinkness of 'stuff' on the plates.
Anybody agree, by the way??
David

<hr width=100% size=1>

castlevar

Visit site
I use truck batteries with three stage charger from shore and generator also fitted solar panels last year also fitted a battery conditioner couple of months ago too soon to say if it works or not .
By the way we are a motor boat in portugal.

<hr width=100% size=1>geoff

DavidJ

home in Brum. S37 sold, was in Med Spain.
Visit site
Are you sure it's not just one cell of one battery thats gone short circuit. The voltage of the other batteries in the bank would be 'sucked' down into it and appear all flat. The only way I can think of checking is to charge them all up individually and check the voltage after 24 hrs. The offender should come forward.
David

<hr width=100% size=1>

G

I suppose the alternator isnt to ground and causing them to go flat?? just a thought. As an aside I met a Dunkirk little ship owner who, when he had a problem with the vehicle batteries (on his boat) used to empty the acid out of the cells, Pressure wash the interior of the cells with a jet wash, to remove the calcification, (carefully with all necessary protection, both for himself and the environment ,you understand,) and then re-fill them with plain distilled water and "charge" them for a while, finally replacing the water with new electrolite and charging, and they would be like new (his words) he had the same batteries for many many years and still has them I believe.
Rob

<hr width=100% size=1>robinwdunham

Other threads that may be of interest