Battery Charging - Mixed types

Billy Blue

Visit site
I'm thinking of replacing all my batteries as some of them probably need changing, they are a mixture of sizes, age and types and so I thought I would start fresh. Currently I have 6 batteries, 1 AGM lead acid (90AH) for the engine, 4 service batteries which the bow thruster also comes off, 2 of which are AGM lead acid (90 AH) and 2 sealed lead acid (135AH) and 1 Sealed lead acid (100AH) for the stern thruster. So a right hotchpotch as I've added or changed when necessary without researching/thinking.
My thoughts were to change to 1 sealed lead acid for the engine, a bank of 3 lead carbon GEL for the services (110AH) and then a bank of 2 sealed lead acid for the bow thruster and stern thruster. Sizes of the others to be determined.
The alternator normally does the majority of the charging, as I use the boat regularly, via a Sterling split charge diode with 3 outputs. In addition, I have solar panels which keeps the service batteries topped up.
The battery charger is a Sterling Pro Charge Utra 40A with 3 outputs which has been set to charge sealed lead acid.
So, despite the hotch pot of batteries, the newest is a least 6 or 7 seven years old , I haven't had any issues until recently when I found that despite doing a 11 hour trip across the North Sea to the Netherlands at a combination of 6 and 12 knots (majority of the time), the service batteries which should have been at 100% after such a run were down to low 90's i.e. I was using more that I was putting in from the alternator and this continued for the next 10 days whilst I was inland (I was able to charge up as I was in Marinas). Normally, they would be topped up at the end of such a day motoring. The alternator is working as I can see when the engine starts, it is pumping in 12 amps but this then gradually drops to below the output.
I see, having actually done a bit of research, that you shouldn't be charging different types of battery with the same charger. Sterling do an add on with a "battery chemistry module" which is used with my charger to manage a different type of battery i.e. I could get one of these to charge the service lead carbon Bank of batteries and set it to sealed lead acid for the other 2 banks.
Normally, I don't actually use the Sterling charger a lot as the batteries haven't needed it and stay topped up when I go out.
So...bearing in mind, that in my ignorance, I've been happily charging 2 different types of battery and different sizes and age for a long time,
(1) Do I really need to take into account the different charging profiles of sealed lead acid and lead carbon Gel and buy the sterling add on?
(2) Comments/ thoughts on the above issues and proposal.
Thanks for your help.
Paul