Batteries

Boatman

Visit site
I am having and have had significant power problems and am looking at a new domestic bank, I want a 240ah to 280ah domestic bank capacity. I would idealy like a 2 battery serial configuration but am open to suggestions. Since I am long term cruising I don't want continous problems.

Sterling charging management is also an option (Wind generator (Arogen 4) and engine being sources of power)

The question is which batteries have you found the best value for money and trouble free?

I need a quick solution and would like to organize the fit in the next week.

<hr width=100% size=1>

summerwind

Visit site
I really would suggest that you have the batteries in parallel rather than series. make sure you buy proper leisure batteries rather than uatomotive ones. The construction is different and leisure batts will take the long term, relatively small current drain in a much better way - that is why they are constructed the way they are.

Wind generator is good. I have an Aerogen 4 and have found it to be an excellent bit of kit. Depending on where you are, I would also invest in a bank of solar panels. I am not convinced that smart box controlled, engine powered charging is an economic answer to power needs, unless you are a power boat of course and are using your engines a lot. (But then, why would you want a wind generator?)

sorry if I am telling you what you already know.

<hr width=100% size=1>

MedMan

teall.name
Before we left the UK for the Med we replaced the entire domestic system including batteries, charging systems, wiring and distribution panels. The essential parts of the new system are:

• Two 120 amp hour deep-cycle batteries for the domestic circuits and one 120 amp hour cranking battery for the engine.

• A 90 amp alternator on the engine in place of the original 30 amp one.

• A ‘smart’ regulator to make maximum use of the alternator when the engine is running.

• A 30 amp switch-mode mains battery charger.

• 4 x 30 watt solar panels with their own regulator.

• New distribution panels for both 12 volt and mains circuits.

• A 200 watt inverter to power such things as the computer or the electric mixer when away from mains electricity.

• A comprehensive battery monitor.

The new system allows us to remain at anchor with the fridge running for up to four days without running the engine. Two hours of motoring (we only ever run the engine under load) is sufficient to restore the batteries to maximum charge. In the spring and autumn, when variable weather makes putting into harbour more prudent than lying at anchor, our mains charger comes into its own. We have also added a fan heater, electric kettle and electric toaster to our inventory for use when on shore power. As electricity is usually included in harbour dues, but gas has to be paid for, these additions have already paid for themselves in cost as well as convenience.

I cannot see any possible advantage in wiring batteries in series. Twelve volt batteries are universally available which, once you leave the UK, could be important.

Now, on to your specific question. It is, of course, essential that you buy deep cycle batteries. Before I left the UK I bought new batteries several times from ATS. They do (or at least did) deep cycle batteries designed for fork lift trucks far cheaper than dedicated marine batteries from a chandler. Give them a try.

<hr width=100% size=1><A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.geocities.com/yachtretreat/>http://www.geocities.com/yachtretreat/</A>

ccscott49

Visit site
Everything you say I agree with, except the smart regulator, IMHO they are an essential addition to any deep/semi deep cycle arrange ment, and it is a very efficient/economic way of charging your batteries. I know I wouldn't now be without one.

<hr width=100% size=1>

davidbains

Visit site
Boatman,
I have had very good service from two Delco Voyager batteries. They never ned toping up and are reasonably deep cycle and will start the engine. n my experience charging capacity is more important than battery capacity. If you really want over 200amp/hrs then join two Voyagers in
PARALLEL . You will need lots of charging oomph to fill them up. I use several solar panels and switch the well insulated fridge off at night. Doing this we completed an Adriatic trip last year after alternator failure!!
Now I have an Adverc clever regulator supplied with a 70amp alternator, and after some hiccups wiring it to a Yanmar 2GM20 harness we now have electricity to spare!!
My MGB did have two 6volt batts under the rear seat but I've never wanted to repeat the arrangement!!
David

<hr width=100% size=1>