Basic handheld GPS?

snowleopard

Visit site
I have an elderly Magellan GPS as a backup. It cost about £60 new in the mid 90s. It's a good bit of kit but for two problems - it can take 1/2 hour to get a fix and it eats batteries.

I'd like to replace it but I don't want a chart plotter, maps of every footpath in outer Mongolia or any other fancy guff, just the basic waypoint, BTW, DTW, SOG etc.

Is that sort of thing still available or have all the manufacturers added features to jack the price up?

ianat182

Visit site
I too have the Magellan H/H GPS 2000XL ,possibly the same as yours. I obtained a plug-in power adaptor so that it can use a cigar lighter socket when on board. I got mine from a forumite after an extensive search on the Magellan website. I have to reinsert the batteries after using it to retain the embedded waypoint data in the memory though.
There are two or three very similar ones to mine that also use adaptors ,so may be worth looking there or on Ebay. I also use 1300mAH NiMHrechargeables that seem to last better.
We have a Navman GPS plotter aboard and I do checks and compare waypoint results for fun, always pretty close though.
Had mine given me as a retirement gift from the Company, and a bottle of single malt too, both unexpected, and welcome!!

ianat182

ProDave

Alness / Black Isle Northern Scottish Highlands.
Visit site
I have an early Magellan handheld.

I think the only time it takes a really long time to get a fix is when it's been off for a long time and needs to update it's satellite data.

It's also pretty useless if you are out walking in a forrest surrounded by trees, it needs a clear view of the sky.

But on the boat it works well. Will give a whole day on a set of alkaline batteries, but only about 6 hours on a set of nicads (haven't tried more modern rechargeables)

nimbusgb

www.umfundi.com
I have an original Garmin GPS 12xl lying about. Steam driven technology but plug in a set of Duracells and it ticks away.

Phone has GPS, SMS tracker has one, Spot tracker, eSeries/NAV antenna, AIS transponder, there's a usb gps rx in the nav table and a very old Magellan hand held on board. so thats about 9 gps receivers on board on a day's sail.

As you say sometimes just a lat,long and basic course info is all you want.

TamarMike

Visit site
Here's my GPS

magellan.jpg

It's getting worse with age and will no longer work on rechargeable batteries and nowadays often fails to get a fix altogether, if it does it takes about 1/2 hour, even when new IIRC it used to take at least 5 mins! I don't think it will be going back aboard this year.

doug748

Visit site
I've got its twin brother, TamarMike.
I seem to remember a menu setting that would allow it to switch on every hour take a position and then go to sleep again. Great for battery life.
Mine is still going strong but always gave an offset position, nothing to do with datums, and as it was reliable I never worried too much.
PS
Cost £233.89 in 1995

Last edited:

SAMYL

Visit site
I have a Garmin III+ which is excellent. It can be plugged into a power socket and it will deliver NMEA to whatever you want.
Not a chartplotter as such because there is no sea chart data (it does have street maps) but does show up the coastline which I have found very usefull on occasions. Much superior to the Etrex.
Usually available on Ebay at reasonable cost.