Barcelona - Port Vell alternatives?

kalessin

kalessin-of-orwell.blogspot.com
I'm currently in the UK and my husband (Samwise) is sailing Kalessin in Spain. Between us we're trying to find somewhere to leave Kalessin for a month in September. It needs to be within reach of Barcelona airport as our flights home are booked from there.

Port Vell has told us it is full.

Two questions:

* If we turn up at Port Vell will there actually be a space? Also, if we wanted to be there for just two or three days can they find short-term spaces?

* What is a reasonable, secure alternative to Port Vell within reach of the airport? (Kalessin would be left unattended). The Olympic port sounds unattractive (I don't like night-time noise) although we wouldn't be on board most of the time.

Kalessin is a 33ft (10.1m) Westerly Storm.

All suggestions gratefully received.

wagenaar

Visit site
I had my ship in Port Ginesta, which is S. of Barcelona, in the winter of 1996/7. It is most likely the marina closest to the airport. There is only one problem: dust. It happened to us once, but is solved rather easy with a hose. Otherwise I think it is a good place. There are also possibilities for maintenance.

wagenaar

Visit site
Re: Sitges

I spend a couple of days in a hotel in Sitges with my wife in the middle of may this year and we did not find the gay scene very noticable. If one is allergic to it I can imagine that it causes problems, but we found Sitges very pleasant. Lots of nice restaurants and sidewalk cafes and a wonderful boulevard along the seaside. There are also some nice museums. On top there is a very good train connection from Sitges to Barcelona (and back) and we think Barcelona the pleasantest city of Spain. (I am living now almost 13 years in that country and my wife is spanish, so I feel we are allowed to have an opinion on it)

Phoenix of Hamble

mishapsandmemories.blogspot.com

I'll second that... We were there earlier this year as well (albeit by road, not car), and found the gay scene unobtrusive, but added a bit of colour and atmosphere to the place.... we really liked it.... as above, providing your not offended by a (non overt) gay culture, its a great place to visit....

ccscott49

Visit site

One of the best meals in Spain was had recently in Sitges with Pauline and Mr.B. But if you think the gay scene is unobtrusive, you are blind!
I dont give a stuff I like the place, lived there a few years ago for while when working offshore St. Carlos.

DavidJ

home in Brum. S37 sold, was in Med Spain.
Visit site

[ QUOTE ]
why was it outrageous ?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Pauline, I can see why you picked me up on this, outlandish is probably a better word. I didn't intend to infer anything negative, it's just party fun out there when we visit and the dressing styles can't help but bring a smile.