Balmar Alternator - not fully charging batteries

scr0che

Visit site
I've had a new Balmar 100A alternator fitted with my Volvo MD22A engine (11m yacht), along with an MC-618 external regulator. All working fine, but....

I started the engine the other day with -112ah on my 400ah AGM battery bank (via victron BMV). Having started the engine I looked 3 hours later and it was still at -50ah, and the regulator was in 'float' charge. I was expecting the regulator to recognise the batteries weren't fully charged and to run in baulk for longer than the configured/default 18 minutes (which ran at 60+ amps)? I do have solar power connected as well, but it wasn't a particularly sunny day, so not expecting and interference there.

Should I make a change to the regulator configuration to increase the baulk charging time period from 18 minutes? Or is there some other configuration I should make? Thus far I only changed the battery type to AGM, and set an alternator high temp limit to 86 degrees, and a battery temp high limit to 44 degrees, neither of which have been reached as yet.

Steve...

Ian_Edwards

Visit site
Have you synchronised the BMV to the battery bank?
I have a similar setup, a 120amp Belmar charging a 420 amp hr LiFePO4 battery bank via WS500 external controller and a BMV to monitor the batteries. The maximum bulk charge period is a lot longer than 18 mins, I can't remember the exact figure but a lot more than an hour.
If the batteries were at 50%, then +200 amp hr to charge, at 50amps from the Balmar, that would take at least 4hrs, neglecting the reduction in charging rate as the bank gets closer to 100%.
What's the absorption charge voltage set to and for how long?

scr0che

Visit site
I will wait for the alternator to get to float and then synchronise manually the bmv.

I took the defaults for the balmar regulator AGM program, so 14.38 bulk, 14.18 absorption, 13.4 float, all 18 minutes each.

geem

Visit site
I will wait for the alternator to get to float and then synchronise manually the bmv.

I took the defaults for the balmar regulator AGM program, so 14.38 bulk, 14.18 absorption, 13.4 float, all 18 minutes each.
What do you mean by 18 minutes each? Is this the duration? If that is correct, the setting are far too short. Charging lead acid is a 6 or 7 hour process

scr0che

Visit site
The balmar regulator is a multi stage processor. 3 of those stages are bulk, absorption and float, and each of those runs for a fixed but configurable 18 minutes. After each stage has run another stage runs, a 'calculated' stage, where the alternator calculates battery condition (timer, battery volts, field duty cycle) and if battery doesn't meet the criteria it will stay in the target voltage for 2s up to 6 hours - so my batteries should be fully charging through this stage in bulk, pretty much.

So, it goes through the stages in the attached file.

My action plan is - disable my solar MPPT controller, let batteries deplete to 70%, run engine and observe regulator charge stages and times, once it goes to float synchronise the BMV to ensure that is reading correctly. At least eliminate the instrument reading incorrectly.

Attachments

• 20240718_192811.jpg
    20240718_192811.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 3

geem

Visit site
W
The balmar regulator is a multi stage processor. 3 of those stages are bulk, absorption and float, and each of those runs for a fixed but configurable 18 minutes. After each stage has run another stage runs, a 'calculated' stage, where the alternator calculates battery condition (timer, battery volts, field duty cycle) and if battery doesn't meet the criteria it will stay in the target voltage for 2s up to 6 hours - so my batteries should be fully charging through this stage in bulk, pretty much.

So, it goes through the stages in the attached file.

My action plan is - disable my solar MPPT controller, let batteries deplete to 70%, run engine and observe regulator charge stages and times, once it goes to float synchronise the BMV to ensure that is reading correctly. At least eliminate the instrument reading incorrectly.
Why would they run on a time schedule? Surely they would run bulk until a preprogrammed voltage limit has been reached. That is then the end of the bulk phase. It would then run in absorbtion until the voltage has dropped to a preprogrammed level. It would then be the end of absorbtion stage. What has time got to do with it?

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
What does that mean? 18 minutes is the default in bulk stage, the calculated bulk stage should recognise it's not complete and continue in bulk until it is complete
It means that after you start a motor vehicle giving that charging profile your battery might be up to full charge.

In other words; the instructions are bonkers.

scr0che

Visit site
Have you synchronised the BMV to the battery bank?
I've reset and synchronised with solar disabled once alternator fully charged the batteries, it looks like that was the issue, so thanks for that.

I've now enabled the solar and the ah used numbers now look correct, and it's getting to full charge in the same pattern it used to. So all good.

BTW, the balmar alternator when used in conjunction with an external regulator is a fantastic bit of kit, it manages the charge profile perfectly, prevents overcharge and overheating of batteries, and manages its own efficiency with many settings and temp sensors on batteries and alternator itself.

noelex

Visit site
The regulator has a very unusual charge algorithm. It is attempting to assess the battery SOC by looking at the field duty cycle. This is fraught with potential conflicts if using a large load or if there are any alternative charge sources, as there generally are on a boat. This is exactly what is happening in your case.

If it was my regulator I would at least trial disabling this "feature" and program a conventional charge algorithm. I think you will find this will work better and solve your issues.