Badly behaved Narrowboat owner

Old Crusty

Visit site
His PR blurb states:

'Steve Haywood aims to be serious and controversial but in an entertaining way in order to enliven people to current waterways' issues.'

His contact details are on the IWA website if you need them. I can't decide if he's an arrogant Richard or a dangerous irresponsible oaf who needs to be taken down a peg or two. I'm sure the IWA would take a dim view of that incident. Deliberate ramming is stupid never mind the legal implications.

His attitude won't help NB/cruiser relations on the Thames

Last edited:

Pump-Out

Visit site
His contact details are on the IWA website if you need them. I can't decide if he's an arrogant Richard or a dangerous irresponsible oaf who needs to be taken down a peg or two. I'm sure the IWA would take a dim view of that incident. Deliberate ramming is stupid never mind the legal implications.

OC - You seem to know who's who on the Thames; could you not send the link to the EA Navigation ppl? There must be a Bylaw or six that have been contravened there, let alone ColRegs 6, 7, 8 & 17.

Chris_d

Visit site
He did so many things wrong there, a lot of narrowboats just don't seem to understand the river and good sea(river)manship, neither do a lot cruisers mind but narrowboats do seem the worse.
You shouldn't come out the lock there and just cut across the oncoming traffic heading for the lock, how did he know the hire boat wasn't going to continue to the lock, did he give a sound signal. Why was he approaching a mooring going downstream, as he brilliantly demonstrated you have less control over your speed and steering!
Its a pity you don't need a license to drive a boat as he should have got a ban for that. :disgust:

oldgit

Visit site
The fact the tosspot is on a narrow boat has nothing to do with this event and should not even be the subject of discussion.
The skipper of this boat is displaying a wilful disregard of just about everything to do with anticipation, river etiquette and boat safety.
He is obviously well pissed off that somebody has perfectly correctly nipped into "his" mooring.
He should have simply sucked it up and gone past muttering under his breath, like the rest of us at the end of a long tiring day and searched for somewhere else.

Wonder if he is also nursing some of the predudices on parade here, regards boaters who are "Not one of us"
Surely not ! :)

Last edited:

ryanroberts

Visit site
Small cruisers on the Thames are nippy and maneuverable, and there are a lot of them as they are the most appropriate boat for a river. As a tin slug owner they will 'steal' 'your' spot. Quiet revenge can be had from the looks of terror as you deftly slide into a lock next to them.

Last edited:

Old Crusty

Visit site
OC - You seem to know who's who on the Thames; could you not send the link to the EA Navigation ppl? There must be a Bylaw or six that have been contravened there, let alone ColRegs 6, 7, 8 & 17.

Looking at the hire boat mooring lines I'm guessing it's a LeBoat cruiser, they like those rough bright blue nylon lines. Mr Haywood has transgressed the Thames Navigation byelaws 29, 30(a), 30(b), 30(c) & 30(d) that require all masters to take appropriate action to avoid collision never mind the international regs.

I doubt the EA would take any action so embarrassing the idiot on social media is the best answer and I shall do that, copy to the EA, IWA, CRT, RYA and LeBoat.

Last edited:

oldgit

Visit site
What predudices? I was merely stating facts :)

Poor boatmanship is not the preserve of one particular type of Thames boater, personally have always found skippers and crews of tin slugs to be very well mannered and friendly folks, most will spare the time of day to have a natter.
The few canal boats we have accommodated in RCC have usually been a great bunch , usually without the airs and graces some other boaters seem to aquire. :)

Do wish they would raft up tho :)

oldgit

Visit site
Was always a bit worried about asking to raft up on the outside with a metal job :p

Err suspect it is impossible for any plastic boat to raft up in an elegant way onto any narrowboat and as for getting ashore.
Was merely wondering if they might raft up together,pretty please, to leave space for other types of boats to get to river bank.

oldgit

Visit site
If the boat was indeed a hire boat,the impact most certainly would have caused damage, surely the hire boat company will be pursuing the narrowboat boat skipper for repair costs. ?
Do love these new little dashcams. :)