B&G Rudder reference Sensor

Daverw

Visit site
Does anyone know the resistance values of a B&G or simrad rudder reference sensor, I’m trying to look at replacing my auton pilot from Raymarine to B&G and looking at using the installed Raymarine reference sensor if possible

rogerthebodger

Visit site
I have a Simrad auto pilot and if I Rember corrects the output is a variable frequency and not resistive but I don't know about the B&G

Daverw

Visit site
If that’s the case I will have to use the new one which is nmea2k, the nac2 unit can take a 3 wire sensor which is why I thought it may be resistive

lustyd

Visit site
I remember a similar thought on my NAC3 install and ended up swapping. Luckily mine came with the new unit

madabouttheboat

Visit site
Does anyone know the resistance values of a B&G or simrad rudder reference sensor, I’m trying to look at replacing my auton pilot from Raymarine to B&G and looking at using the installed Raymarine reference sensor if possible
Hi. I’m trying to find a raymarine rudder reference so if you want to sell yours to help fund a suitable new one, let me know. Cheers

Daverw

Visit site
Hi. I’m trying to find a raymarine rudder reference so if you want to sell yours to help fund a suitable new one, let me know. Cheers
They have a new one in the kit but was look8ng at the possibility of keeping the one installed or my mate was looking to install in his system he has just fitted. It looks like it will not do so may be available to sell.

I’m looking at installing over the next two weeks and will let you know if it becomes spare

lustyd

Visit site
FYI the B&G is quite big compared to the Raymarine so it may be a bit faffy to fit. It also goes in backwards very easily but the 3 bolt pattern doesn’t reverse so measure twice and measure again!

Daverw

Visit site
FYI the B&G is quite big compared to the Raymarine so it may be a bit faffy to fit. It also goes in backwards very easily but the 3 bolt pattern doesn’t reverse so measure twice and measure again!
Luckily fitting will be easy, we are tiller rudder with a cable from rudder shaft leading from deck to cabin below which pulls rudder reference and sprung return to keep cable tight. Has worked great for last 4 years and a good solution for tiller steered boats which have no access to rudder shaft below or quadrant, the hard bit will be routing the nmea cable from transom of the boat

Last edited:

rogerthebodger

Visit site
A proper hydrodynamic shape will have a few advantages over a flat plate, including:

A much higher stall angle
Lower drag
Higher lift

The higher lift improves the turning force of the rudder and the upwind performance of the yacht.

I think it is worth the trouble to make this modification. Any of the symmetrical NACA sections should be fine.

Both the rudders I made used a symmetrical NACA section to get better performance

Is this post on the wrong thread ??