B&G Network autohelm.

Allan

Visit site
On our recent trip our B&G autohelm started alarming out. It's a Network ACP pilot with everything built into the ram drive. Has anyone had any experience of refurbishing one of these? Any information would be gratefully received.
Allan

TSB240

Visit site
We have one on our boat. What alarm flashed up. For instance ours show no speed if the log impeller is blocked or stopped. Ours also flashes up NO DRV if the user has forgotten to switch on the autopilot or took the fuse out during rudder removal both of which I have done. It's an old age thing but nothing to do with a very reliable piece of kit.🙂
https://softwaredownloads.navico.com/Lowrance/FTP/Lowrance_Software - Copy/BG_Documents/Network_Pilot_User_Manual.pdf

https://www.dahlberg-sa.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/NETWORK-PILOT-manual-ing.pdf

Last edited:

Beneteau381

Visit site
On our recent trip our B&G autohelm started alarming out. It's a Network ACP pilot with everything built into the ram drive. Has anyone had any experience of refurbishing one of these? Any information would be gratefully received.
Allan
What message are you getting?

Beneteau381

Visit site
Allan
The Autohelm sends a signal to the ram, which can in theory be any make and the ram responds. No control inthe ram at all just a simple reversing motor that drives a hydraulic pump that is integral.
The controlling is done by a BandG box that is remote from it. I have a complete spare box computer on my boat in Portugal but I suspect that Isnt the issue. There are several simple 12 v relays along side the box, again simple automotive stuff,nothing special. You needto give more info for us to help

Allan

Visit site
Many thanks for the replies so far. The autohelm will work OK for a while then go off course and alarm. The display says something like DRV ALM. I've been sat at the wheel and heard the pump running but not moving the wheel. Hence my question about refurbishing the 'ram'.
Allan

Beneteau381

Visit site
Many thanks for the replies so far. The autohelm will work OK for a while then go off course and alarm. The display says something like DRV ALM. I've been sat at the wheel and heard the pump running but not moving the wheel. Hence my question about refurbishing the 'ram'.
Allan
Have you checked the oil level? There is a quite famous outfit in Norfolk? that stocks spares for the rams, cant remeber the name

TSB240

Visit site
DRV alarm occurs if rudder reference unit picks up there is no movement of the rudder arm. As Stu suggests this is possibly due to loss of oil in the system or as you have diagnosed a problem with a ram seal. Look for the sign of oil leaks and topping up would be the first approach. Check all the ram linkages and rudder quadrant security. Our boat uses a manual wheel pump which also operates the hydraulic cylinder for steering. I assume yours has a secondary system as if the ram fails on mine I have to resort to emergency tiller.

Allan

Visit site
DRV alarm occurs if rudder reference unit picks up there is no movement of the rudder arm. As Stu suggests this is possibly due to loss of oil in the system or as you have diagnosed a problem with a ram seal. Look for the sign of oil leaks and topping up would be the first approach. Check all the ram linkages and rudder quadrant security. Our boat uses a manual wheel pump which also operates the hydraulic cylinder for steering. I assume yours has a secondary system as if the ram fails on mine I have to resort to emergency tiller.
I've yet check the oil level as I wanted some more information on checks I could do before removing the unit. If the hydraulic fluid is low I'll be changing the seals anyway.
Allan

Allan

Visit site
Our system is completely different to yours. The steering is mechanical with the B&G drive connected to a steering quadrant. When the autohelm is off the cylinder (ram) is free to move in and out. Turn on the autohelm and a solenoid engages the hydraulics. The external controller then provides 12v to a motor to move the ram in or out as required. Motor, pump and ram are all one unit. There's no external oil reservoir.
Allan

Allan

Visit site
Have you checked the oil level? There is a quite famous outfit in Norfolk? that stocks spares for the rams, cant remeber the name
See above for the oil level question. It would be great if you or someone else could remember the name of the place in Norfolk. I've tried my best on Google but fallen short so far. Some more clues might help.
Allan

Beneteau381

Visit site
See above for the oil level question. It would be great if you or someone else could remember the name of the place in Norfolk. I've tried my best on Google but fallen short so far. Some more clues might help.
Allan
It uses ATF oil not hydraulic oil!, mine has a a small reservoir that you can see and top up

dje67

Visit site
I had a similar problem a few years back - carbon brushes on the electric hydraulic pump had worn. Appeared to work sometimes, then it would alarm and trip out of auto mode. Took the motor off the pump, measured the brushes and sourced alternatives online. Worked perfectly since. Sorry I cannot remember what the brush size was or where I got them from.

Allan

Visit site
I bought a brush kit for my ram motor off them, don’t forget the ram isnt bandg, mine is autohelm?
Ours is made by Hypro in Dawlish. Unfortunately they say it's obsolete. At present it's with a local firm and I'll report back when we have it back.
Allan