Australian flagged boat & VAT

Perrycas

Visit site
I have had a look, but cant find any posts that cover this, forgive me if I missed anything that has already been said before. I have read stuff on VAT here in the past.
I'm Australian. Buying a boat in Europe that has VAT paid etc.
It 'appears' to be easiest if I register it with Australian Ship Reg. Now, does the Australian Ship reg complicate the keeping of the VAT. I won't be keeping it forever, I don't plan on taking it back to Australia and only want to use it in lets say the Med/Europe. When its time to sell it will be in Europe. So I want to maintain the VAT.
I plan to go in and out of Europe, I don't have dual nationality - lets say North Africa, Turkey . Any problems going to and fro? I am assuming the boat can go in and out with me as often as I like (90 in 180)
Would appreciate any information as a starting point.
Cheers
Perry

Tony Cross

Visit site
I'm not a VAT expert by a long shot, but it's my understanding that if the boat is VAT paid and you later sell her in the EU she will be a VAT paid boat. The general exceptions to this are; if she is out of the EU for three years (I think it's 3) or if she is sold outside the EU then she will lose her VAT paid status. AFAIK your nationality nor the flag of the boat make any difference to that.

I would advise that you make very certain that you see concrete proof of VAT having been paid before you purchase - the original VAT receipt is the best evidence. If there is any doubt in your mind of her VAT status then prospective purchasers when you come to sell will have the same doubts. :)

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
As said above, as long as the boat is kept in the EU and later sold there, it should retain its status. It has nothing to do with the nationality of the owner of boat flag.

I'm awaiting a reply from the RYA (who in turn are awaiting official reply) about the status of an EU VAT paid boat taken out of the EU, even short term, by a non resident. The EU export rules may well deem the boat to be exported and the owner, not being a resident, isn't entitled to claim RGR.

Perrycas

Visit site
OK. Ta. Pretty clear. Thats sort of what I understood, didn't know about the 3 years. I will check that, but I doubt I will be going out of the EU for anywhere near that time Hmm, I can request a scan of proof of purchase/ VAT. Any suggestions as to what I should be looking for? Sorry never seen one before.