Attention All Shipping - I'm so sorry

ShipsWoofy

Visit site
Attention All Shipping - I\'m so sorry

I am about a 1/4 into it and I just don't want to read any more, I have not warmed to the author at all. It is not funny, nor an interesting travel log.

I imagine he read 'Around Ireland with a Fridge' and thought to himself 'I could that', but forgot to actually do anything interesting or even seemingly to talk to anyone new on his travels.

I apologise to the group for recommending this book and when finally I closed it this evening and removed my book mark I turned to SWMBO saying 'I thought you said this was funny', 'no it's terrible, but I thought it would be funny if I made you find out the hard way'.

Did anyone manage to get through it?

Aardee

Visit site
Re: Attention All Shipping - I\'m so sorry

Nope, also dipped out, but I managed to get about halfway through before I realised I wasn't enjoying it much.

Very disappointing, could've been so good...

StugeronSteve

Visit site

[ QUOTE ]
Did anyone manage to get through it?

[/ QUOTE ] Yes, cos I have this masochistic need to finish any book that I start. Please see my comments, posted some time ago, in response to the original suggestion.

I think swmbo picked it up in one of Tim Waterstone's "buy two get one free" bun feasts, she assures me that it was the free one!

misterg

Visit site

Glad it's not just me!

I had abandoned it at about the time you suggested it as a collective read (but I'm not a literary person, or very patient with respect to plot development). I'm sure I heard bits of it on Radio 4, and it was OK in a sort of low-committment radio 4 type of way. Couldn't get more than a few dozen pages into the book, though. Very dirty trick by your SWMBO, and she seemed such a pleasant person... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I used to feel a compulsion to finish any book I started, but have got over this, and it's very liberating! Will probably come back to it at some time, because it was a gift, so still feel compelled to read it. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Hint: Try "Berserk in the Antarctic", or "Tom Crean - Unsung Hero"

Andy

Superstrath

Visit site
Re: Attention All Shipping - Me too!

al_dozzing.jpg

jhr

jamesrichardsonconsultants.co.uk

I made it through to the end, because I hate to give up on a book, but I agree that it was nothing special.

I recently re-read "Coasting" by Jonathan Raban, which I commend to your attention.

nickjones

Visit site

I finished it - but only because I was marooned in France at the time. Poor presentation of wafer thin material. You did the right thing when you put it down.

Sumpie

Visit site

As another member of the never give up on a book brigade, i was amazed to only get as far as Cromarty before manic boredom set in. G.C.S.E standard phrases such as 'a lonely stranger, far from home' grated terribly - he was in Scotland not up a hill in Peru, such dramatisation doesn't really fit when a few hours on a National Express will have you back in your local. And I'm easily pleased, I'm reading Dan Brown.