Asymmetric Snuffer Length?

MickToo

Visit site
I'm using an asymmetric spinnaker / cruising chute with a snuffer - 41' boat, typically sailing 2-4 handed.

For many many years we didn't have a snuffer but after a couple of drops (over those years) that went spectacularly badly we decided to give a snuffer a try.

Whilst the additional line does provide yet another item to create a cat's cradle and facilitates other potential issues, on the whole my feelings are that it's been a positive addition.

However, I can't help feeling that it's been cut too long - it's been manufactured to luff length meaning that I'm ferreting about trying to find the clew when attaching the sheets (adding a further opportunity for the beginning of a cat's cradle) and once hoisted, on pulling the snuffer line, frequently the volume of sail forming the foot of the asymm bunches up and is markedly reluctant to release from the bottom of the snuffer.

The sailmaker that supplied the snuffer has said that they always cut to luff length and say that tackline and sheets should be parallel when raising the snuffer, whereas another sailmaker has said that he recommends cutting to clew length and that the unsnuffed foot makes a tangle-free connection of the tack and clew easier...

So, my question is NOT whether you love or loathe snuffers but, from experience, what's better: luff length or leach length?

thinwater

sail-delmarva.blogspot.com
I agree, leaving the snuffer a few feet short is more trouble free. I've had both, and I shortened the long one.

There are other details that matter too. The shape of the mouth and where the lines attach. Pulleys. Once I got it set up right, never a problem.

---

The biggest advantage for me on the cat was that it also served as a sail bag. I could not fit a bag through the bow hatch, but I could lower the snuffed sail.

MickToo

Visit site
On ours the opening is circular, a heavier Dacron collar (stitched to the lightweight nylon sleeve) stiffened with a multi strand, possibly 10mm thick, wire hoop so no plastic bit to break, fall off or otherwise create problems.

The "continuous" line runs up an internal sleeve so it's kept in place with the snuffer down.

All seems to work well other than the length but I'm keen to get the advice of others since shortening it is a one-way street!

Metalicmike

Visit site
I have been thinking about adding another line to clew to a small block on the tack helping to depower the sail whilst lowering the snuffer and stop it snagging when launching. My Snuffer is home made and I have one continues line to raise and lower the snuffer.

MickToo

Visit site
I have been thinking about adding another line to clew to a small block on the tack helping to depower the sail whilst lowering the snuffer and stop it snagging when launching. My Snuffer is home made and I have one continues line to raise and lower the snuffer.
Not sure an extra line will do anything more than add potential for entanglement. Blowing the sheet (or certainly a dump) will depower it.

Out of interest, did you make the snuffer to leech or luff length?

Metalicmike

Visit site
Not sure an extra line will do anything more than add potential for entanglement. Blowing the sheet (or certainly a dump) will depower it.

Out of interest, did you make the snuffer to leech or luff length?
I bought a set of curtains that felt like they had the strength an slip qualities I was looking for. The first attempt was too tight and after three attempts I got it working so I can launch and douse from the cockpit. I have to drop the chute to use my Genoa as I don't have a bowsprit.

bedouin

Visit site
I don't think I would like a snuffer that wasn't luff length - the whole idea is to keep the sail under control and if it were only leech length then there could be a lot of sail still blowing about in the breeze - and getting in the way while hoisting or dropping.

I have considered attaching a couple of short lengths of sheet to the clew and attaching the sheets to those in the snuffer - but haven't got round to it yet so I suppose it doesn't bother me that much

MickToo

Visit site
I don't think I would like a snuffer that wasn't luff length - the whole idea is to keep the sail under control and if it were only leech length then there could be a lot of sail still blowing about in the breeze - and getting in the way while hoisting or dropping.

I have considered attaching a couple of short lengths of sheet to the clew and attaching the sheets to those in the snuffer - but haven't got round to it yet so I suppose it doesn't bother me that much
I don't think the loose foot fabric would be an issue but I'm not commenting from a place of knowledge .

Concerning attaching lengths of sheet to the clew, I have tried using "permanently" attached dynema leaders but was unhappy with the shackles being a metre or so away from the clew as they seemed to then develop a propensity for catching on stuff whilst gybing - and that's both sheets so times two, or cause the lazy sheet to sag into the water... I've since given up on that idea.

Chiara’s slave

Visit site
Ours has a life size toilet seat to facilitate sail exit and entry, and is slightly shorter than clew length. Seems to work, we are usually 2 up, andunleashing The Beast is now a bloody sight less stressful.