Arriving Geurnsey late in the day

C08

Visit site
I am planning to head to Geurnsey from Dartmouth at the end of June. Neapish tides and planning to leave very early hours so should arrive early evening but in the event of problems and arriving very late/going dark I would prefer to anchor overnight rather than enter SPP at night as my night vision is unusually poor. Looking at the chart there do not seem to be an abundanceof marked anchorages but many bays that look to be accessible and relatively rock free. Any advice on suitable overnight anchorages on the NW, W and south sides of Geurnsey. Thanks in anticipation of good advice.

Topcat47

Visit site
It depends on the boat and the tidal flow. Havelet Bay was where I'd anchor Snark if I'd been flushed a little too far south by the tide but she's only 26'. Once you're in it's pretty sheltered. Another favourite bolt hole of mine is Havre Gosselin, east of Sark. Last time I was there, there were a lot of visitor's moorings so I didn't need to anchor. Punching the tide in either of the Russels isn't for wimps.

Reactions: Obi

Daydream believer

Visit site
I have entered St PP at night & I had a vision issue, whereby I was getting double vision as I approached the start of the Little Russel & could see double of all the lights. However, in spite of this, entering with all the lights etc ( seen in double) was very easy. Certainly better than trying to anchor.
I have also come in at midnight from Roscoff & one of the harbour staff have met me well before the visitors pontoon & taken me straight in to the harbour. All dead easy.

Beelzebub

Visit site
Generally visitors will be met by marina attendants as they arrive in St Peter Port and this will be far easier than messing about anchoring in the dark in Havelet. By all means move to Havelet when day has broken.

A slight correction to a statement by Topcat, Havre Gosselin is on the west of Sark!

LadyInBed

montymariner.co.uk
I nearly always anchor in Havelet Bay unless the wind is blowing in.
If you go into St PP the harbour staff will be on the prowl if the sill is open but don't tend to be when it's shut.
You can now go onto the 'new' outer walk ashore pontoons if you can find a space.

Kerenza

www.24bit.ltd.uk
Interesting info.
I am intending Gurnsey for the first time this July, but I understand inside the cil is a bit shallow, so will have to go on the pontoon.
Are they bookable? Otherwise options with 2.5m draft.?

K

ashtead

Visit site
You don’t say what you draw but if of any meaningful depth one concern might be running aground depending on state of tide -I have often seen yachts getting stuck approaching outer moorings and making too wide a turning circle but clearly if you hog the channel should be fine however would avoid the late night scurry over the sill if tides permit and remain on those outer pontoons running the engine occasionally to top up the batteries.provided it doesn’t blow up the outer pontoons now land connected far pleasanter experience.

ashtead

Visit site
If I drew 2.5m I would make for jersey stopping in Alderney on a buoy if a break required -that said no bookings at SPP but outer pontoon should be fine but remember no shore power there which might be a concern .There is another marina in the former quarry at guersensey-baucette but a search of posts by form Fleming mobo owner Piers will tell you a lot about this option in case of interest.

johnalison

Visit site
The entrance to St PP is straightforward but I can imagine conditions when moving around in the harbour might be challenging. Even in daylight it can be hard to pick out the way past moored boats. I have seen very large, 60’+ boats anchored in Havelet Bay, so it should be OK if you can live with the tidal range. In spite of this, I think I would go for the harbour and take it slowly, and there will be some light until quite late in June anyway.

Sheff

Visit site
I am planning to head to Geurnsey from Dartmouth at the end of June. Neapish tides and planning to leave very early hours so should arrive early evening but in the event of problems and arriving very late/going dark I would prefer to anchor overnight rather than enter SPP at night as my night vision is unusually poor. Looking at the chart there do not seem to be an abundanceof marked anchorages but many bays that look to be accessible and relatively rock free. Any advice on suitable overnight anchorages on the NW, W and south sides of Geurnsey. Thanks in anticipation of good advice.
If you are not making progress according to your passage plan then you are unlikely to be making your tidal gate for the Alderney race. If that is the case don’t attempt Guernsey (unless you sail very fast/have powerful engine) but pick up a mooring in Braye harbour, Alderney and then set off at optimum tidal time for Guernsey the following day. The water taxi was running until midnight last week (they will advise/assist on picking up a mooring). Check in for the bailiwick of Guernsey is also straightforward here.

Havre Gosselin, Sark has been mentioned and is not to be missed if you want to visit but not advisable to enter in the dark if you are not familiar with it. Also exposed if the wind is anywhere South to West.

Enjoy.

Boathook

Visit site
If you are not making progress according to your passage plan then you are unlikely to be making your tidal gate for the Alderney race. If that is the case don’t attempt Guernsey (unless you sail very fast/have powerful engine) but pick up a mooring in Braye harbour, Alderney and then set off at optimum tidal time for Guernsey the following day. The water taxi was running until midnight last week (they will advise/assist on picking up a mooring). Check in for the bailiwick of Guernsey is also straightforward here.

Havre Gosselin, Sark has been mentioned and is not to be missed if you want to visit but not advisable to enter in the dark if you are not familiar with it. Also exposed if the wind is anywhere South to West.

Enjoy.
From Dartmouth you shouldn't be using the Alderney race but aim straight at Guernsey. Whether to north or south of Guernsey will be down to what the tide is doing when you are likely to arrive.

Obi

Visit site
+1 for Alderney as something to think about.

Simply because it gives you an anchorage, it has a charming town up the hill, great pubs near the port, a very friendly vibe, and is well worth exploring the island.

It also gives you shorter passage to make on day 1, and a rest before heading for SPP.

I have only stayed a handful of times, the most memorable when there was no pick up buoy attached to the few mooring buoys still available. It was early evening, I was solo, and Obi with a very high freeboard made it tricky. This led to three broken boat hooks and a growing urge to jump in to the water with a warp.

Boathook

Visit site
It also gives you shorter passage to make on day 1, and a rest before heading for SPP.
Not much difference for the OP sailing from Dartmouth.
Agree with your other comments about Alderney though. There are a few rocks you need to avoid in Braye plus a 'ledge' to the south of the anchorage area. The HM told me about the ledge and suggested we moved a bit.

doug748

Visit site

Honestly, especially with your boat, you will get there well before the pubs start serving food.

If you do want to anchor, Havelet Bay is lit, dead easy to enter, has plenty of water and good holding. Your only problem, with dodgy vision, are a few buoys to the north and unlit anchored boats esp against the lights of the town. The W and NW sides of Guernsey should only be considered if the boat is sinking under you :giggle:

On a first visit, if you are very apprehensive, I would stooge about for a few hours. At that time of year you will have light at 4am and will not lose it till after 23h.

Alderney is a poor trip from Dartmouth, the direct route takes you through the Separation Zone and dipping south gives you a chance of getting pegged if you arrive late on the tide. As the others have mentioned SP Port can be conveniently approached north or southabout depending on your timing, make your choice when you are 10 or 15 miles out. It's depressing to get close with the tide turning against you so a degree of foresight is a good thing.