Aries tiller clamp

kalanka

Visit site
I have an Aries vane gear c. 1988 which is complete except for the chain and clamp arrangement that attaches to the tiller.

I have emailed the contact on the Aries Spares site without response.

Does anyone know how to source the chain and clamp combination or an effective alternative?

Thanks

bromleybysea

Visit site
I've seen a couple of home-made chain clamps, from a simple vertical pin to one bent at 45 degrees welded to a backing plate. Also seen a Tillermate used with a continuous line, which IMO seems a very good solution as it does away with the chain altogether. Have you tried ringing Helen Franklin?- there is a T/N on the Aires spares website.

Wandering Star

Visit site
Hi Kalanka,

Most spares for the original Aries are obtained from Helen Franklin I assume this is the website you are referring to? It's fair to say you will get a response eventually but how quickly - who knows?

Your better bet is to go direct to the people who manufacture the current Aries, the name of the chap escapes me but he's very friendly and helpful, he attends most of the boatshows and speaks excellent English. The part is think you want from his website is the Tiller Kit

But any short piece of (say) 4 or 6mm chain will do with a fabricated bracket with a "V" cut into it of a size to accept a single chain link. The outer links of the chain are attached to each end of the control lines. the above described bracket is bolted to the tiller and in operation the chain is dropped into the bracket to engage it or removed to disengage - couldn't be simpler!

Hope some of this helps?

00Si00

Visit site
Hi
I bought mine from Helen Franklin . I believe she sources them from the new Aries builder.
Before this I had bought a tillermate from a chap in the SW and found them to be ugly plastic things that wern't really up to the job of long distance use( if I recall, it mentions this in the operating instructions- and i did buy the plastic version), and so sent it back for a full refund.