Votes: 14 10.4%
  • Only a member for the mooring

Votes: 20 14.8%
  • Dont have a boat but like the social side

Votes: 3 2.2%

• Total voters

richardbrennan

Visit site
I would like to give a pat on the back to the Royal Dart even though I am not a member. On my summer cruise, for reasons I will not bore you with, I found myself without a crew in Dartmouth and needing to move my boat Torquay. Not being an adventurous single handed type, I went to the Royal Dart and explained my problem and they soon found me a very pleasant young man, who was incidentally a much better sailor than me, who was happy to crew for me the following day. They could not have been more helpful and I also enjoyed a couple of very good dinners there in very friendly company a fantastic setting.

johnalison

Visit site
One of the virtues of belonging to a yacht or sailing club is that you will be welcome when visiting somewhere away from home and in need of a drink. Although some clubs, such as mine, will welcome all visiting yachtsmen, some will expect visitors to belong to a club affiliated to the RYA.

Club politics seem to come and go in most clubs, depending on who is around at any one time, but most problems arise from the fact that the club usually has premises, with all the management that goes with them. I also belong to a non-affiliated association which meets during the summer and winter. We have a superb annual dinner with all drinks included in the price and pay £5 annually to belong. I can't remember a cross word between members of the association or its committee in the dozen or so years we have belonged.

Champagne Murphy

Visit site
Was a member of a rather posh YC but left after a number of (fairly hefty) adverse events. It became evident that we were expected to poke up with this and look happy. The final straw came when we were never able to get onto the club pontoon to load/unload for cruises because they had always rented the hammerhead out to some monolithic MOBO for the income. All this after annual fees in excess of £500 if memory serves. There were certainly some very nice people there but the 'Committee Rules' atmosphere was a real pain.
Subsequently joined a MUCH smaller and lower cost outfit (approx £80 pa) for the membership and occasional function.

JumbleDuck

Visit site
I just can't take the whole "flag officer" business seriously. I've been a member of half a dozen gliding clubs, not of which saw any need to call the chairman an "air vice marshal" and I don't think the Ramblers' Association calls local committee members "generals", so I simply cannot fathom out why yacht clubs go for all this "Rear Vice Commodore (Toilet Cleaning and Parking Allocation)" nonsense.

I have not joined my local yacht club. From what friends who are members tell me, I am well out of it.

Sans Bateau

Visit site
I just can't take the whole "flag officer" business seriously. I've been a member of half a dozen gliding clubs, not of which saw any need to call the chairman an "air vice marshal" and I don't think the Ramblers' Association calls local committee members "generals", so I simply cannot fathom out why yacht clubs go for all this "Rear Vice Commodore (Toilet Cleaning and Parking Allocation)" nonsense.

I have not joined my local yacht club. From what friends who are members tell me, I am well out of it.

An attempt to emulate the senior service, big titles for people who like to wield their authority on others I'd suspect.

xyachtdave

Visit site
Have been thinking about Yacht Clubs and the benefits and disbenefits of being a member.

Obviously if you use the club for moorings etc you may be biased but if you moor your boat somewhere other than the club is it really worthwhile being a member?

I get a little frustrated with the politics and insular groups that can be found in most clubs and often wonder each year if it’s still worthwhile.

However it’s always a treat to attend the Rallies and race every now and then.

Just wondered what the consensus is on the forum.

I've been pulled to one side on our club pontoon twice with 'excuse me are you Xyachtdave?'......so I might not be as candid as I would normally!

High points for me include the many new friends made, the clubs first class facilities, the introduction to sailing my daughter received in the Optimists and the social side generally.

I've had one bust up with some elderly (more senior??) members over children in the clubhouse.

On another occasion while unloading our gear ready for a weekend away and someone looked at his partner and said 'really this place is becoming more of a white van man car park than a car park these days,'.

You just take a deep breath and carry on. A club with 600 members is no different to a marina with 600 berths, there's bound to be a couple of people that are *****!

DJE

www.casl.uk.com
An attempt to emulate the senior service, big titles for people who like to wield their authority on others I'd suspect.

Tell me about it. SWMBO is rear commodore this year!

No need to take it seriously I just call her Mrs. Rear then I run away!

Babylon

Visit site
Its interesting that over 70% of respondents to the poll voted they were extremely happy with their club.

Yet the clear majority of people posting describe their experience of yacht clubs in negative terms!

With one or two minor irritations from time to time, I'm extremely happy with the club I belong to.

Reminds me of an old Chinese story:

A woman arrives on the outskirts of a town with her bags, and puts them down to ask an old man sitting under a tree a question:
- "Old man, tell me, what is this town like?"
- "Well" replies the old man, "what is the town you come from like?"
- "A pleasant place" replies the woman, "the streets are clean, the people are friendly, the merchants reasonably honest, and the politicians hardworking."
- "I think you'll find this town much the same" says the old man.
The woman thanks him, picks up her bags and continues on her way.

A while later another woman arrives on the outskirts of the town, puts down her bags and asks the old man the same question, to which he again replies with a question:
- "Tell me, what is the town you come from like?"
- "A vile, filthy place" replies the second woman, "the people are gossips and unwelcoming, the merchants dishonest and the politicians venal and self-serving"
- "So, I think you'll find this town much the same" says the old man.

Last edited:

Seajet

Visit site

There's one officious little ***** at my club, followed the usual pattern, been there 5 minutes, invented a title for himself and tried ordering me around, I've been there 36 years - but don't bother with the committee side.

When in notes to him I started signing myself Star Fleet Admiral even he got the message and wound his neck in...:)

doug748

Visit site
"Its interesting that over 70% of respondents to the poll voted they were extremely happy with their club."

Babylon

There really needs to be an option:

Yes, fairly happy with my club. However, if one more pushy, non-sailing, r sole tells me I am putting my dinghy in the wrong place, or tying my painter to the wrong thing I will ram the blunt end of my paddle right up his arris.

JumbleDuck

Visit site
Its interesting that over 70% of respondents to the poll voted they were extremely happy with their club.

Yet the clear majority of people posting describe their experience of yacht clubs in negative terms!

Suggesting, unsurprisingly, that the people who choose to stay in yacht clubs are happy with them.

Tranona

Visit site
Suggesting, unsurprisingly, that the people who choose to stay in yacht clubs are happy with them.

Which all goes to show that even though there are over 80 responses and 35 posts in a day it really is a non-issue. If you are happy you belong, if you are not, you don't and there are some people who don't like it but it suits them belong to get a mooring.

So, no surprises, just human nature.

ianat182

Visit site
As others on this forum may notice I often recommend my own Club on the Hamble mainly because I have been involved in Club activities and duties, and have been an 'active' sailing member for coming up to 43 years and counting.
When I joined in 1970 the club membership was mainly dinghy oriented and sailing itself was just beginning its surge of popularity,and affordable boating at around £100 for a National 12, Enterprise or similar class and club fleets were well attended for racing, with little or no official training.
Intending owners started sailing by crewing for other members. As the club grew to some 400 or so the family aspect became a welcome addition to the club atmosphere. By this time I and other members were regularly giving sailing instruction 'on-the-job,' obviousy no certification or remuneration was sought or given/received ,but some very good friends were made, still are, and have formed the club committees from the outset. H& S and the litigation atmosphere these days no longer permits this without a full risk assessment by member or Club.
New ideas are frequently proposed and voted upon at the AGM's,and sub committees formed when a particularly complicated or costly proposal is mooted. The Executive Committee rule of thumb is that the Club shall be self sufficient with the minimum of paid staff - our 2 Bosuns and Club Administrator, who do an excellent job.
Bar duties and work parties are formed by volunteers, however many schemes and plans are overseen by qualified professionals who are also club members,and charge no fee for their advice be it legal or architectural advice, nor for electrical/mechanical inspection recommendations.
One problem with a sailing club's social calendar is that major functions are likely to be held at the weekends when we go sailing away for that period ,and the attendance may not be as expected. Most of our big events are therefore packed into the winter and late Autumn social programmes that also include some do's for the younger elements.
From memory we've had table tennis, fashion shows, salsa dancing classes as well as the seasonal dinner dances, barn dances and discos, and Saturday suppers organised by small groups usually with a theme and appropriate menu and even fancy dress.
With club moorings, dinghy parking and large public( free) car parking, with a public hard for launching we consider ourselves fortunate to be located where we are.

I obviously voted 'Happy'.

ianat182

boguing

Visit site
ianat82, if that's the club on the N side, it is one of a few clubs that I have always enjoyed. I've still got a lot of the crockery that I bought from it!

I also really enjoyed Seaview for events and great racing. Was asked to join because I didn't work in law, have a Discovery or second home in the town! Couldn't really justify the cost at the time. Lymington Town is great too. In fact most of the clubs I've visited have been good, and not being a member means that you don't often get involved in the gossip.

I'm heartened by Seajets story about de-emphasising racing. That really peed me off at the last inland club that I joined so that the kids could enjoy their Oppies. They didn't really because even when they were allowed to cruise in the first 50 yards of lake there would always be some old buffer who'd overstood the mark by a mile and would scream and shout at a five year old. I hope that it's caught on there too, because it appears that there are a majority of us who learned to sail by cruising in dinghies.

Last edited:

longjohnsilver

Visit site
Starcross Fishing and Cruising club is a great place, friendly, welcoming with a down to earth atmosphere, along with good facilities and an excellent clubhouse and very cheap bar. I couldn't wish for a better club to be a member of.