Are my expectations too unrealistic?

steveeasy

Visit site
Hi,
In my own little bubble I drive down to my boat every other week. I usually pop in to the same chandlery, sometimes I spend a tenner, sometimes I spend £500. This week I went in three times. £85, £30, and a modest £10. On the second occasion I was handed my change by the manager without any sign of a thanks. Then today no please or thank you at all. like I was not there. Its been like this for 2 years. almost all the staff have an arrogance, the manager can be pleasant but does exactly the same thing. I discussed it with him today but I don't think he understood the importance of being curtious

Only last year my wife pointed out how friendly everyone is at marinas and on the radio. Ive allways found without exception everyone to be pleasant and friendly. So why would retailers not show the same respect to the very same people ?. Is it a regional thing or is it more of something more sinister ?.

I know I should just take it on the chin or man up and say something, but im past all that. when I go to do my boat I do so to enjoy the whole experience and my mindset is to be polite and respectful to everyone.

The chandlery is Force 4 In Bursledon. ill not ever go in again. I run a retail business and its part and parcel to use please and thanks to everyone no matter how much im under pressure. Are my expectations really too much Today ?.

Steveeasy

Kukri

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines
Visit site
I often drive twenty miles out of my way to go to either Seamark Nunn in Trimley or to the chandlers at Suffolk Yacht Harbour in Levington because the people are friendly, knowledgeable and thoughtful. And anyone who has bought yottitronics in Suffolk will speak well of Henry at Foxes.

I have been pleasantly surprised by Force 4 at Lymington.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 36384

It’s your call, convenience over congeniality. It’s not as if you are being abused every time you trade with the chandler. Maybe lower your expectations would be better. Some folks are born grumpy.

steveeasy

Visit site
It’s your call, convenience over congeniality. It’s not as if you are being abused every time you trade with the chandler. Maybe lower your expectations would be better. Some folks are born grumpy.

Not sure if people are born that way. Actually I fell like its an abuse, its not a one off. Its a plague that spreads like wildfire. In my opinion its easy to address, but starts at the top. Its also very good for business. Whats interesting though, my customers are very wide and diverse range of people. without exception almost all of them are polite and they always get a genuine please and thank you. Id be horrified if I failed to acknowledge to respond after being handed money.

Steveeasy

Last edited:

Elessar

Visit site
Hi,
In my own little bubble I drive down to my boat every other week. I usually pop in to the same chandlery, sometimes I spend a tenner, sometimes I spend £500. This week I went in three times. £85, £30, and a modest £10. On the second occasion I was handed my change by the manager without any sign of a thanks. Then today no please or thank you at all. like I was not there. Its been like this for 2 years. almost all the staff have an arrogance, the manager can be pleasant but does exactly the same thing. I discussed it with him today but I don't think he understood the importance of being curtious

Only last year my wife pointed out how friendly everyone is at marinas and on the radio. Ive allways found without exception everyone to be pleasant and friendly. So why would retailers not show the same respect to the very same people ?. Is it a regional thing or is it more of something more sinister ?.

I know I should just take it on the chin or man up and say something, but im past all that. when I go to do my boat I do so to enjoy the whole experience and my mindset is to be polite and respectful to everyone.

The chandlery is Force 4 In Bursledon. ill not ever go in again. I run a retail business and its part and parcel to use please and thanks to everyone no matter how much im under pressure. Are my expectations really too much Today ?.

Steveeasy

Force 4 in shamrock couldn’t be friendlier or more helpful.

dom

Visit site
No Steve, your expectations are reasonable. Force 4 staff in Port Hamble appear to be cut from the same cloth.

My favourite is YouBoat in Gosport, small family chandelery and better for it!

capnsensible

Visit site
There is a very good, but rather expensive chandlery here in Marina Rubicon, Lanzarote. It carries all the lines that you will find in the normal UK places. What makes it is the laughter of the lovely lady manager at my attempts to describe what I want to buy in Spanish. Especially as her English is great. :)

Dutch01527

Visit site
My local Force 4 is not great either. No real knowledge and a bit impersonal.

Never really though about it before but the staff are all in their 30’s and 40’s and must be earning not much more than minimum wage. Different dynamic than a old school family owned business run by enthusiasts.

I use the internet for everything I can except urgent requirements.

ShinyShoe

Visit site
When do you visit? Lunchtime? End of Day?

You say you wont visit again - but if they are the only chandler for miles and you really need something... ...so you can cut back but I suspect few of us can avoid a specific chandler completely.

The problem lies with the manager. Because its culture. But he may well consider customers an inconvenience! Perhaps they do more on-line business than front of house these days. Or perhaps simply because he is a manager he isn't fussed for your £30. He gets paid no matter what (and he's too short sighted to see that if everyone walks away he wont get paid).

Is he a sailor? Or a shop keeper? You need both... May not actually be that easy to find.

I work with teams who have clearly had a culture of "we are too busy for that" "we don't get paid for that" "we work 9-5 not 8:59 to 5:01" - it is incredibly difficult to work with. It is a big culture in the world of doing only what you need to. On the other hand I work with teams who would bend over backwards to help. Sometimes they get taken advantage of, but on the whole they are who I'd want to work with day in day out. Invariably - their leadership is what keeps that team on its helpful nature.

Force4 is a 15 company. No reason not to contact the top? 2 of the directors actually manage shops... Not sure which.

wombat88

Visit site
Force 4 in Birdham are always both humorous and helpful, even though many of my purchases do not exceed £1 and are paid for by credit card.

They are also good at getting things that are not in their catalogue.

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
Is Force 4 a single company of franchise? If a single company write to the MD.

I use them in Plymouth always very helpful. Over the winter they have spent time with me sorting out my NMEA 2000 wiring that is going into the boat over the summer and quite soon I am going to rock up with my credit card and spend an significant amount of cash with them.

I've also had great service from Gailforce in Inverness. Called them and taken over issues before buying kit.

Saying all of the above I have visited one local chandlery who changed manager and was so rude stopped putting cash over their till.

steveeasy

Visit site
Actually if it was a one of you can put up with it. It's the regularity of it that. Five staff all do the same. I'm afraid to say it's just bloody rude. I've spoken with the manager privately and in a friendly way.ive also spoken to head office.waiting to see if I get a response.

The damage is done though you should not have to prompt peaple to be polite.

Steveeasy

Blue Sunray

Visit site
Force 4 in shamrock couldn’t be friendlier or more helpful.

+1, but the prize for me has to go to the South African? chap who was manning the Force 4 at Mercury one day a couple of years back when I went in for something (a wire brush IIRC) he apologised that they were out of stock then went out to his car and fetched and lent me his own one.

Newboy6458

Visit site
Bit surprised.
Went into the Bursledon one the other day, polite pleasant and helpful.
Even asked by a member of staff who wasn’t serving me how I was.
On the odd occasion they haven’t got what I’m looking for they invariably ring the other local branches to check if thy have it there. No affiliation with them, just a customer