Aqua Signal Series 34 faulty Tricolour - locking ring stuck?

Foz

Visit site
Looking for some advice. I have an Aquasignal series 34 combined anchor and tricolour led. The anchor light works no problem. The tricolour comes on for ~5s then goes off - this can be repeated any number of times from the switch.

So far I have:

1. Changed the switch at the panel.
2. Remade the connections from the boat wiring to the mast cable, have checked the voltages.

I have been up the mast (to check voltages at the masthead & condition of the light, but couldn’t get the locking ring to move!!

any tips eg is it a half turn or quarter turn, or fully threaded, before I start applying more torque than two hands eg the rubber strapped oil filter wrench?

Many thanks.

lustyd

Visit site
Read the manual. It's likely your LEDs have aged out and it's telling you to replace the unit. The flashes are documented.

Foz

Visit site
Many thanks for the super prompt reply, yes, I saw the table in the manual I found online; the light doesn’t flash, just comes on and then goes off and stays off…certainly not had it on for the expected life of 30,000 hours of night sailing at +25 Deg.C!!

The manual just says “loosen the lower locking ring”, that’s the bit I’m really interested in. Once I get the unit off I can then bench test it off the mast to work out if I have a mast cable fault, terminal block fault, or the unit itself is gubbed. I have seen a couple of you tube videos, but it’s not really clear on the locking ring.

Anyone know how the “quicfits” lower locking ring loosens, is it hand tight, quarter turn, half turn, fully threaded ie turn it until it is free, is there a ‘click’ at some point indicating it is loose etc?

BabaYaga

Visit site
I have the series 32 tricolour only (so may not be identical to the 34), but on this the locking ring movement is quite limited, far less than a quarter of a turn. Opens normally, that is anti clockwise.

Reactions: Foz

rogerthebodger

Visit site
The problem I found with the aqua signal locking ring is that grit can get down between the ring and the case causing the ring to jam and making it difficult to turn

Reactions: Foz