Anyone with an LRC and a marine SSB like to try a Dx to Rome?

A

Anonymous

Anyone with an LRC and a marine SSB like to try a Dx to Rome?

whipper_snapper

Visit site
Can try if you like.

There are some French stations coming through strongly on 14MHz at the moment so may have a path.

and italians

and Brits.

A

Anonymous

I was thinking we might do it on a marine ITU channel, so other non-ham ybw forumites could join in? Maybe 12Mhz or 16Mz simplex a couple of hours after sunset - say 10pm European time, 9pm UK time? What about 12-1 12353.0 or 16-1 16528.0 say tomorrow, if we can get anyone interested? Or maybe Easter Sunday wouldn't be popular? Or suggest an alternative? I have a lot of boat noise (charger, fridge, and other bits) that I turn off before playing with the SSB so if you have a chance to check the background noise, that would be useful.

whipper_snapper

Visit site
OK, I would be up for trying that. Propogation here to Europe is excellent this evening. First time I have played with the radio for ages - just spoke to MX0TCM at Thorpe Camp RAF museum near Lincoln.

I have all the marine SSB freqs too. Both 12A and 16A sound quiet right now - but that doesn't mean a lot.

Carolwildbird

art-of-remembering.typepad.com
I'll be commissioning my new SSB next week- just the link from the link to the backstay from the atu and the dsc aeriel to do ( but other priorities - see other post (in a few minutes, anyway!))

I'd love to try it out later in the week, if anyone's up for it?

tri39

www.sailblogs.com
I have a Ham set in my study with a sloper aerial giving good reception from Italy and Spain. I realise many yachties have marine SSB's but you could still test reception and transmission on different frequencies by arrangement.

whipper_snapper

Visit site
We need Lemain to come back and organise us!

Failing that I will be on channel 12-1 (12.3530 MHz) at 2000 GMT and 16-1 (16.5280 MHz) at 2005 GMT tonight. I will call myself whipper_snapper on these channels

If that fails, I could maybe try 14.190 at 2010 GMT for any hams. The trouble is that when people hear a 5Z4 callsign I get swamped.

A

Anonymous

Why don't you two go ahead tonight -- I will try to but can't be sure as it is Easter day etc. then when Carol gets her kit sorted out later in the week and maybe a few others are drawn in, we could try again? If I'm able to make it I will start on 12-1 for five minutes i.e. 2000 - 2005 then 16-1 from 2005 - 2010 then 2010 - 2015 14.190MHz Upper Side Band (J3E for those with marine sets). My call-signs will be MZB(xx) on the marine and M0D(xx)/MM on ham.

Bilgediver

Visit site
I shall tickle my crystal and put on my high impedance phones in Aulde Reekie but better not use my mfax from the home QTH

/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

You might hear a strangled ZQH on 20 metres

A

Anonymous

Sorry couldn't make it....not really possible at dinner time on Easter Sunday when I needed to turn everything off to avoid interference. Later in the week, maybe?

whipper_snapper

Visit site
Nothing on the marine bands. There is someone rabbiting on about his oven on14.190, not heard i callsign yet. I will break in when I can, or drop 5KHz

ah, he is in new york, w3jk

tri39

www.sailblogs.com
Reception is often better in the morning.
I can listen on 14Mhz from 08.45BST/09.45ECT.
Try listening to John EA7BA on 14156 from nr Almeria to check reception.
Then we could try contact on say 14170. It's often very busy nearer 14200 which is the frequency a lot of hams have the aerials cut to.
Have you tried listening to Bill G4FRN on 14303 from 08.00GMT for any MM's calling the UK?