Anyone lost a RIB?

Marmalade

Visit site
2 stolen ribs (minus engines, removed) fetched up at Marconi SC on the Blackwater yesterday...

poss from Brightlingsea?

tillergirl

Visit site
We have had this from the Secretary of the Club

"The police tell us that this is becoming a real problem in the area. Apparently £60,000 worth of outboard engines have been stolen in the last three weeks.
We heard this morning that two local ribs had been taken on Tuesday night - they were discovered on the shore near Burnham. Apparently one had been hot wired to start it and the other had been towed away. Both still had their engines but on one the engine bolts and steering cables had been cut - presumably in readiness for removing the engine.
It seems that padlocking the engine to the boat is not sufficient - it is now necessary to padlock the boat to the mooring. Please be vigilant and take whatever steps necessary to secure your property"

Local being 'West Mersea' I assume. And assuming this is another two ribs gone rather than the same two, it's pretty worrying for rib owners. I just hope people buying second-hand engines give a thought to where they have come from!

toad

Visit site
Sounds like the same two that turned up at Marconi, they had cut the cables on at least one rib and had removed all the stainless bolts except one bolt with a security nut. This was not an opportunist crime, it must have taken some organising to nick two large ribs from two separate moorings tow them some four miles or so and then start dismantling them on a quite beach. These engines are one or two years old of 115hp and I think 150hp, so at a guess £6000 each?. According to marine plod outboard theft is epidemic on the east coast, I notice Tollsbury marina has lots of signs up warning you to lock up your outboard. But on the up side one of my friends was boarded of Mersea by the men in black at dusk two weeks ago checking for stolen outboards.

bastonjock

Visit site
This causes me concern as i have a 50hp YAM on my transome,I have often considered,defacing the paint work in order to make it less attractive.My insurers value my engine at 1700.00 personally i dont think that id get a lot of outboard for 1700.00,my engine has less than 200 hours on it.

bastonjock

Visit site
thanks for that bit of advise,at present,i dont think that outboard theft is a problem where i am moored,there are a lot of tenders with their outboards in situ.

perhaps there needs to be a central data base of outboard chassis numbers