Anyone know what humble pie tastes like?

bigwow

Visit site
For the last ten years my wife has been telling me the wardrobe in the starboard forward cabin smelt damp, I've maintained it can't be.
This week, fitting a bilge pump, I had to run the outlet pipe, taking off the panel, in the back of the wardrobe, it became obvious one of the stanchion bolts had been leaking for some considerable time.
Where the leaking water had ended up I've no idea but the hull was stained and a wooden support, behind the panel had rotted.
Don't you just hate it when, on the occasional time, your wife is right.:disgust:

Kurrawong_Kid

Visit site
I
For the last ten years my wife has been telling me the wardrobe in the starboard forward cabin smelt damp, I've maintained it can't be.
This week, fitting a bilge pump, I had to run the outlet pipe, taking off the panel, in the back of the wardrobe, it became obvious one of the stanchion bolts had been leaking for some considerable time.
Where the leaking water had ended up I've no idea but the hull was stained and a wooden support, behind the panel had rotted.
Don't you just hate it when, on the occasional time, your wife is right.:disgust:
Occasional? Not in my experience-always!

Resolution

Visit site

We also had a leak into the wardrobe cupboard. My wife discovered this when putting on her rubber sea-boots - which were full to the brim with water!
(NB Ours came from the mast boot and flowed down in the ceiling lining. Only discovered this after re-bedding every stanchion that side.....)

BruceK

Visit site
Did you go and blurt it John? Never blurt to the missus once denied. That'll go down in the little black book of I told you so's and be grist for the mill until you eventually succumb. Plus I might get some mileage out of it .......... :encouragement:

LittleSister

Me Norfolk/Suffolk border - Boat Deben & Southwold
Visit site
I was on a trip on a friends boat. Weather turned horrid and his girlfriend (not really a sailor) retreated to their cabin. She came back up soon after complaining there was water coming in. My friend told her not to worry about it, it was normal, and she glumly went below again.

His boat had keel stepped masts, one of which came down through the middle of the foot of the bed in their cabin. He'd never been able to get the mast boot fully sealed so a few drips always came down when in wet weather or rough conditions (such as we were experiencing).

We slogged on for hours and eventually my friend turned in and left me on the helm. He reappeared moments later - water was coming in serious splashes, not drips, and had been all day! The bed was absolutely sodden, and he'd found his girlfriend shivering, squeezed into the last dry(ish), and shrinking, corner of the bed.

I didn't hear the precise details of the consequences, but I got the impression that humble pie would have been only a partial down payment on the price to be paid!