Anyone know anything about old Navico Corus instruments?

jbm1967

Visit site
Hi my new (1989 boat) has old Navioc Corus instruments. I know these will need replacing eventually but for now I would like to use if possible. The wind instrument turns on ok but the needle just points north and does not change and there is no speed registered. The wind transducer is spinning and rotating. Does anyone know if I can measure if this is working (test voltage at the lead?)? Also is there a through hole transducer for the speed instrument? I have not found it as yet if there is (have not had boat out of the water yet). Thanks in advance with any help.

DJE

www.casl.uk.com
I'm in the process of replacing a complete Navico Corus system so I will have a lot of spares for sale soon. Mine has a conventional Airmar paddle wheel through-hull speed transducer. Never had any trouble with the wind instrument.

jbm1967

Visit site
Hi, thanks for advice. If I am going to change I will probably replace with new. If it is just a loose connection or similar i would keep for a while. What are you replacing with? I am thinking the Nasa Clipper instruments. Seem a good price and a good fit (size wise).

DJE

www.casl.uk.com
We're going the whole hog with a Raymarine system including instruments, chartplotter and autopilot. Costing a small fortune but we expected to pay it at some point as part of a major re-fit. At least we got the boat for a good price. :eek:

Champagne Murphy

Visit site
The best place for technical help is Odin Marine, speak to Terry. When Simrad bought up Navico they effectively killed off the Corus system and Odin bought the spares, trouble is that was along time ago and they haven’t got much left. Our wind instrument died a few years ago and they didn’t have a replacement. We now use a Tacktick. The rest keeps chugging along but I know I’m going to have to replace it someday.
DJE, if you have spares I’d be interested.

DJE

www.casl.uk.com
DJE, if you have spares I’d be interested.
I will get a list together and put them on the For Sale forum shortly. Shame that Navico killed the system off as it looks well made and works well. The issues that we have are that the displays are fading (I think the previous owner might have left the sun covers off), the autopilot ram is stiff, and it was all in the wrong place for the way we sail the boat.

Champagne Murphy

Visit site
I will get a list together and put them on the For Sale forum shortly. Shame that Navico killed the system off as it looks well made and works well. The issues that we have are that the displays are fading (I think the previous owner might have left the sun covers off), the autopilot ram is stiff, and it was all in the wrong place for the way we sail the boat.

If you would like to PM me when you have the list that would be great

sandymunro

Visit site
I'm in the process of replacing a complete Navico Corus system so I will have a lot of spares for sale soon. Mine has a conventional Airmar paddle wheel through-hull speed transducer. Never had any trouble with the wind instrument.

sandymunro

Visit site
Hi DJE,
I am in Salisbury and would be delighted to talk to you about any Corus you may be disposing of.

Tel 07968....731756. Sandymunro38(at)gmail.com

Jmurray

Visit site
Hello good members of the YBW, I have a question that i wonder if anyone knows the answer and would be so kind as to help, I own a boat with navico wind and speed instruments and recently replaced the speed instrument for a raymarine because it also has a depth transducer. When we did this the wind instruments stopped displaying wind speed and direction- it reads that there is zero wind from directly in front of the boat, so we obviously upset something in the process, is there a way to ‘reboot’ the system? Or to test what may have gone wrong?

Champagne Murphy

Visit site
Hello good members of the YBW, I have a question that i wonder if anyone knows the answer and would be so kind as to help, I own a boat with navico wind and speed instruments and recently replaced the speed instrument for a raymarine because it also has a depth transducer. When we did this the wind instruments stopped displaying wind speed and direction- it reads that there is zero wind from directly in front of the boat, so we obviously upset something in the process, is there a way to ‘reboot’ the system? Or to test what may have gone wrong?

The Raymarine, does it plumb into the NMEA converter on the Navico system? Navico aren’t 0183 or 2000 so they aren’t directly compatible and have to run through a converter. If not then you’ve probably ‘broken’ the loop that runs around the Navico instruments by removing the Navico transducer.

Jmurray

Visit site
The Raymarine, does it plumb into the NMEA converter on the Navico system? Navico aren’t 0183 or 2000 so they aren’t directly compatible and have to run through a converter. If not then you’ve probably ‘broken’ the loop that runs around the Navico instruments by removing the Navico transducer.

Jmurray

Visit site

Many thanks Champagne Murphy, I’ll look up a converter if It looks like I haven’t broken something, because i understand that true wind would be impaired but I’m surprised that apparent wind stopped, is it easy to break something more than the loop, because they did show apparent wind briefly.